Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Maranello red??

Coaldust666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG
Anyone had issues with the maranallo red colour?

I'm doing some bodywork on a vg ute and got a few custom cans of maranallo red (code from Vin tag)

However on painting over my primer it's looking way lighter in colour than the original paint?

Og paints in good condition, a little sun faded but nothing major.

Seems to be darkening up a bit with more layers but unsure if I should continue or try something else

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Wouldn’t be the colour. It could be the brand or the mix.

PPG was the original supplier

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Having your primer in the correct tone would help. I'm 90% sure PPG offer different tone grey primers (labelled 1 through 10) to suit a range of finish colours.

You might need more coats, or better mixing first.

Different colours will have different opacity and require different number of coats for proper coverage.

I would think 3-4 would be plenty though.

Coaldust666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG
Having your primer in the correct tone would help. I'm 90% sure PPG offer different tone grey primers (labelled 1 through 10) to suit a range of finish colours.

You might need more coats, or better mixing first.

Different colours will have different opacity and require different number of coats for proper coverage.

I would think 3-4 would be plenty though.
Yep I used a white primer, pretty sure that's half my problem but I'd assume a few extra coats of the red would sort that out

I might flick PPG an email and see what they recon

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yep I used a white primer, pretty sure that's half my problem but I'd assume a few extra coats of the red would sort that out

I might flick PPG an email and see what they recon
If you were local to me (which is unlikely) I would come and look at it in person.
I'm Lower north island

Coaldust666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG
If you were local to me (which is unlikely) I would come and look at it in person.
I'm Lower north island
I'll get some better photos tomorrow, these are a bit crap sorry.

-The door has 1 decent coat and it's noticeably lighter/more orange than the other patches I'm working on.
-Bonnets had 2 light coats and it's a bit darker, both have the same primer underneath. (Nevermind my hori masking it's more of an avoid cut n polish wax marker lol)

I'm going to get a decent hvlp gun and do a few more good coats and see how it turns out.
Giving the old paint a good polish should help too?
Not gonna bother with the ripoff linkup pre mix cans anymore.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240202_225309_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240202_225309_Gallery.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 44
  • received_842908387847877.jpg
    received_842908387847877.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 46

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. many moons ago (when I had hair) I used VH 'Maranello Red'... the VH SS colour on an LJ Torrie
(Rebuilt after engine bay and underdash fire and purchased from an insurance co for $20)

that colour (it was Dulux then) was tried over various primers and it went from pink (white undercoat) to much much darker with a recommended Dulux 'dark grey' primer. The Torrie get 6 coats (the factory did 3 on VH) and the backyard paint job result is...

Torana _ Paint job.jpg

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. many moons ago (when I had hair) I used VH 'Maranello Red'... the VH SS colour on an LJ Torrie
(Rebuilt after engine bay and underdash fire and purchased from an insurance co for $20)

that colour (it was Dulux then) was tried over various primers and it went from pink (white undercoat) to much much darker with a recommended Dulux 'dark grey' primer. The Torrie get 6 coats (the factory did 3 on VH) and the backyard paint job result is...

View attachment 263724
and the finished result....

Lj torana_after.jpg