Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mark Webber wins in Germany

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'm not pooo hoooing anyone I'm just saying he's not a great driver, which he isn't, he's not naturally as fast as Lowndes let alone any of the great F1 drivers. It was a good drive (apart from ramming Rubens :)) and I was happy to see him win one, but he's had heaps of chances to have a good drive before and most of the time hes stuffed it up driving beyond his limits. He's not a favorite driver of mine, I don't worry about what country someone is from. I'll allways apreciate the best drivers more than the average ones because I like to see the masters in action, that's why I watch F1. It's a pity there are no masters of driving in the field at the moment, You just have a few guys that's are very good but no one stands out as the best right now

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
1982! ???? man, thats a loooooooong time ago lol. would have had flintstones cars back then yeah? :p

S.O.S

White chicks on hey hey!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Flintstones with hair-dryers back then :p.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I'm not pooo hoooing anyone I'm just saying he's not a great driver, which he isn't, he's not naturally as fast as Lowndes let alone any of the great F1 drivers. It was a good drive (apart from ramming Rubens :)) and I was happy to see him win one, but he's had heaps of chances to have a good drive before and most of the time hes stuffed it up driving beyond his limits. He's not a favorite driver of mine, I don't worry about what country someone is from. I'll allways apreciate the best drivers more than the average ones because I like to see the masters in action, that's why I watch F1. It's a pity there are no masters of driving in the field at the moment, You just have a few guys that's are very good but no one stands out as the best right now

Well maybe we can agree to differ - I rate him very highly now and has the craft of F1 racing in the bag. The silly mistakes are gone, the team has stopped stuffing up the pit stops, stratergy is working, the car runs for more than 3 laps now, he qualifies as good as anyone in the feild and now he has some must win balls'e aggresion.

No I think as a F1 race driver he is as good as anyone else in the group now - and that group has 3 F1 world champs in it.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
good on webber, met him when he first started at Jaguar and he came to our work as we had melbourne city jaguar there, nice guy, i'm glad he won, finally got a car that can stay in one piece for a whole race :thumbsup: makes for a good season of f1's with a few teams having wins now.

.:Brad:.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Clubsport

so with lap times under a second slower than the the top drivers, and sometimes quicker, and he still isnt good?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
1982! ???? man, thats a loooooooong time ago lol. would have had flintstones cars back then yeah? :p

Nope there have been times in the past when F1 cars have been alot more fearsome than they are today with over 1000 hp, you would be suprised :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well maybe we can agree to differ - I rate him very highly now and has the craft of F1 racing in the bag. The silly mistakes are gone, the team has stopped stuffing up the pit stops, stratergy is working, the car runs for more than 3 laps now, he qualifies as good as anyone in the feild and now he has some must win balls'e aggresion.

No I think as a F1 race driver he is as good as anyone else in the group now - and that group has 3 F1 world champs in it.

Ok we can differ :) and we will see what happens in the future, but I don't think this rise to the top will last very long once the big names have fast cars under them.

I'd rate Alonso the best driver in the field at the moment then Nico Rosberg, Raikkonen should be in theory be the fastest guy there but he seems to be mentally not interested in F1 anymore and lost the plot compared to what he's capable of, Hamilton goes great in a great car but he's not the kind of guy that can drive **** car fast because he's never been the guy that can push to the limit with confidance (and drive fast doing so). He's more like the guy you can trust to take a fast car and win without stacking.

Webber's probably like 5th,6th Which is great considering it's the best drivers in the world but it's still a long way from the top especailly since there is no Senna/Shumacher or even a Mansell/Berger kind of guy in the field right now and those guys are 10-20% better than other normal top 5 drivers. I think once all the big teams find some pace he will be a 5th/6th place kind of man again like he allways was before. But lets agree to differ and see what happens

P.S I'm Sure Lowndes early open wheel carreer shows he was much better than Webber, because he was very very good it's just that he moved to touring cars

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I'm just saying he's not a great driver, which he isn't, he's not naturally as fast as Lowndes let alone any of the great F1 drivers.

Wasn't it Lowndes who FAILED where Webber succeeded in Europe? Wasn't it Lowndes who come running back to v8 superbores when he couldnt do anything of worth in Europe?

Sorry but if you truly think Lowndes is a better driver, you are downright delusional.

Saying Webber isn't as good as Mansell, Senna etc really cannot be said. You truly do not know how those drivers would perform in these cars.

Give Webber a break, he has done, what no other Australian has done in almost 30 years. Do i think highly of the guy? Nope, but credit where credit is due.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Ok we can differ :) and we will see what happens in the future, but I don't think this rise to the top will last very long once the big names have fast cars under them.

I'd rate Alonso the best driver in the field at the moment then Nico Rosberg, Raikkonen should be in theory be the fastest guy there but he seems to be mentally not interested in F1 anymore and lost the plot compared to what he's capable of, Hamilton goes great in a great car but he's not the kind of guy that can drive **** car fast because he's never been the guy that can push to the limit with confidance (and drive fast doing so). He's more like the guy you can trust to take a fast car and win without stacking.

Webber's probably like 5th,6th Which is great considering it's the best drivers in the world but it's still a long way from the top especailly since there is no Senna/Shumacher or even a Mansell/Berger kind of guy in the field right now and those guys are 10-20% better than other normal top 5 drivers. I think once all the big teams find some pace he will be a 5th/6th place kind of man again like he allways was before. But lets agree to differ and see what happens

P.S I'm Sure Lowndes early open wheel carreer shows he was much better than Webber, because he was very very good it's just that he moved to touring cars

Your position on this makes no allowance for Mark to have improved his skill and know how. I think he has impoved his race craft 10 fold over the past 8 years.

Alonso - best driver - maybe. He has the same engine as Webber and struggles to finish in the top 10.

And sorry but Lowndes very early open wheeler days dont cut it at F1 level - I'm sure there are hundreds of "open wheeler Ace drivers" in Europe running around in the mini leagues as good as what Lowndes was - but never make it to the big time.

Raikki has lost interest cos he's a sook and stuck with a slow car this year. Hamilton has made more mistakes in the past year than Webber's past 2 seasons.

As for the other teams catching them - maybe so - the F1 race for the top never sits still for long. This is Marks moment of glory - be it short lived - it's his personal victory from all the doubters that thought over the past 8 years with all the failures in dud cars ment he was a poor driver.

With every dud car he never shat on the team, allways turned up at the next race ready to give it his all (unlike some of the current "Top" drivers) and drove the car on it's limit. Sure he crashed a few times (he has now had 130 starts) but so has every race car driver in F1 and if they dont crash from time to time - are they putting in enough? Like who wants to drive safely and finish 17th in F1 - only 1 or 2 drivers.

This past win may be his only win in F1 - he may finish with more - we shall see.

I rate Mark Webber as a fantastic Aussie doing his stuff over seas in one of the toughest sports of all and is doing his country proud with his never give up attitude.