Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matching numbers

Hawkgrizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I've got a mate looking at a 1990 VG for me on the weekend and I want to make sure its all original. So I want to make sure the numbers match (thats how to check its all original, yeah?) and as far as I can tell that means the engine, chassis and gearbox should all match, is that correct? and if so where abouts are these numbers located specifically so I can tell him where to look.
I believe its a HEC 5000i engine and a Borg-Warner T-5 manual gearbox if that info is required/ makes it easier?

Apologies for my complete ignorance.
Thanks

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
what numbers on a Holden match?

Hawkgrizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
what numbers on a Holden match?
I dont know how to check that the parts are all original, thats why im here. any info to help me understand would be greatly appreciated.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Probably going to need original log book or build sheet(?) whatever they have when car was new if they have all numbers on them but unlikely.

If it's a low mileage maloo in pristine then yeah be good to have all the documentation but if just plain s pack value wont really change all it really needs to have is vu prefix & close enough cast date on engine block

What is a HEC 5000i engine?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Probably going to need original log book or build sheet(?) whatever they have when car was new if they have all numbers on them but unlikely.

If it's a low mileage maloo in pristine then yeah be good to have all the documentation but if just plain s pack value wont really change all it really needs to have is vu prefix & close enough cast date on engine block

What is a HEC 5000i engine?
The final model of the Holden Engine Company VN to VS 304, before the GMH switch to the Gen III.