Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mechanics and Non-Mechanics welcome! Share what you know!

Are you a mechanic?

• Yes

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 65 76.5%

• Total voters

DJ-Bolan

DJ stands for Dale Joshua
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden SV6 VE buying soon!
hey, just wondering, how many people are actually mechanics here, and how many are not?

just curious, because i want to learn about cars from the inside out. was thinking about becoming a mechanic, but due to financial reasons i'll have to hold out for a couple 2 years.

how long roughly (i know we're all still learning) did you comfortably learn everything about a car? i,e mechanics and just general knowledge eg. this camshaft is meant for this car, but this camshaft can also fit/work right/more kw's/horses?

wanting more general knowledge as i have a cousin who has down diesel/petroleum mechanic apprenticeship and machining work so he knows all about it and how to fix. but i pick his brains too much but i still want to learn.

is it worth doing it? or would it slowly but surely kill my love for working on my own car?

positive and negative responses encouraged (about topic)

- D

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I'm not a mechanic, the closest I have come to any sort of training was work experience at a mechanics which mostly involved sweeping floors and getting lunch...

That said, over the years I've learnt a lot through mates/reading/just having a go etc and in my opinion, I don't mind working on my own cars, it's a hell of a lot cheaper and fulfilling, but I wouldn't want to do it fulltime. That's just my opinion and I'm sure others will think different...

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Im what you would call a backyard mechanic over the years I have learnt about cars by asking questions,watching a mechanic working on my cars and just by reading instructions in car manuals.Im the same as Hangman I wouldnt want to do it as a job because some of the work is bloody back braking work and mentally draining and very annoying especially when you rip the skin off your knuckles

Last edited:

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I work as a mechanic, but i'm missing the piece of paper that says i'm qualified. :p I've just been working on cars since i could hold a spanner. Been in the trade officially for about 7 years now, although i'm actually a qualified panel beater.

You never know everything there is to know about cars/mechanicals, so you might know a fair bit, but you're always still learning.

Only you can make the decision whether you want to be a mechanic or not, if you want to do it, go for it. I work on cars everyday, but i still enjoy working on my own car/s, it sort of gets me away from the daily grind so to speak.

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
i am a mechanic and you never know everything but i would say about 5-6 years work and you would know enough to tackel most things

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
i am a mechanic and you never know everything but i would say about 5-6 years work and you would know enough to tackel most things

I don't think you can really put a time frame on that to be honest. I think that all depends on where you work, what you work on and how much you are given a chance to do.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I'm a Fixed Plant Mechanical Fitter by trade, not an auto mechanic, but you would be surprised (or maybe not lol) at how many of the principles are relevant between the two trades.
Certainly has helped me and further more, I've pulled quite a few other people out of the **** with mechanical issues.

Remember this, no matter WHAT you're working on....Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
when i said most things i was refering to brakes, plugs and most suspention work and i would agree it would all depend on what you are taught. I work on all makes all models but when it comes to diagnostics you are always learning nowdays you need a scan tool to work on most cars

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
i'm not a mechanic by trade (actually studying an accounting degree) but have been working on my racebikes since i can remember and fill in as a diesel mechanic at my family business if they are flat out.

i can do most things, well the only thing i havent done is completely rebuild a synchro gearbox but i will try that soon enough. done lots of bike gearboxes, i just break them all the time lolz.

DJ-Bolan

DJ stands for Dale Joshua
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden SV6 VE buying soon!
yeah i can see where everyone is going with this, i have such a passion for cars, bikes and everything. i would love to know all the tricks of the trade and be able to be confident with what i do, which would mean either studying for 4 years and become completely qualified (and get paid in the process :p) or just learn by teaching myself and through others.

i just want to make sure i don't end up wanting to rebuild a old GT (my love car) and end up half way through it selling it due to lack of time due to work or just growing out of it. haha. + right now i work with family and that's really easy to get away with everything i want to do. decisions, decisions.

people let me know where you learn all of your knowledge. i'm constantly seeking more knowledge, watching wheeler dealers, reading car rebuild websites, talking to people, reading just bikes/cars/parts. but i never get my hands dirty due to lack of vehicle (had to sell car due to speeding, #### da 50) but not really..

haha, has this question ever been posted? :S