Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mechanics and Non-Mechanics welcome! Share what you know!

Are you a mechanic?

• Yes

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 65 76.5%

• Total voters

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
ive been working as a mechanic for almost 8 years now, and i can safely say that ill never learn everything there is to know about the job, but if you really love working on cars and understand how things work, then go for gold.
but its definately worth getting an old(ish) car and like everyones said, strip it, inspect it and put it back together and learn the basics.

ive been playing round with cars since i can remember and was getting taught how to do things before i even started my apprenticeship, so by the time tradeschool came around, it was more like a refresh your memory course.

the only downside to being a mechanic is the pay while on an apprenticeship, you ahve to work hard to make good money

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
im currently an apprentice mechanic, its not a bad job. youve gotta be keen though, the pays **** and the work is hard.

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
I'm just a backyard hacker. I started out my 1st yr as a mechanic and hated it.And now, Just a vineyard bum.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
I'm not a mechanic, the closest I have come to any sort of training was work experience at a mechanics which mostly involved sweeping floors and getting lunch...

That said, over the years I've learnt a lot through mates/reading/just having a go etc and in my opinion, I don't mind working on my own cars, it's a hell of a lot cheaper and fulfilling, but I wouldn't want to do it fulltime. That's just my opinion and I'm sure others will think different...

+1 this is me to a tee =)

monkeywrench

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ss sedan
ive been a mechanic for about 20yrs and i am still learning till this day,but i must admit its gotten to the stage now where i dont work on cars outside of work,but i actually started out working in a wrecking yard the best way to learn is to see how things come apart first,but i still enjoy learning new things.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I started off by just working on the cars myself when I was 18. By the time I was 20 I had already taken a motor out and replaced with another one, I'm now 21. I have learned a lot from this forum + Tafe + The Apprenticeship that I had and my Dad who has helped me. I don't mean to brag but I do know more then my mate who is a second year apprentice. A lot of it has to do with when I had my Apprenticeship as I wasn't pushing a broom around, he got in me and basically threw me in the deep end. No point in pushing a broom around, you learn nothing.

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
Adult wages arn't too bad, you will start off on about $500 a week (21 years or older)

I would have to say go for it, my one regret in life is not doing an apprenticeship when I had the chance. If you want to learn then the best way is to read about it, to do it and then to reflect on the job.

Sounds silly but research your task, do the task then look back on what you have done and think about how you could have done it better or quicker. I started out knowing nothing about cars not a single thing, a mate gave me a chance at his wreckers and next thing you know I have built supercharger setups, rebuilt autos rewired cars from scratch you name it, and all for the love of cars not once did I consider any of it a job.

Any way thats my semi pointless 2c worth.

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
if learning how to do stuff like fixing heads and finding out what cam shaft suits what etc then dont work at a dealership! all you do is service/repair/diag and its the same old crap day in day out! and especieally where i work if something is broken eg. gearbox there more likely to send it to a gearbox spechialist to be fixed. as for a time frame i was told by my boss (aka a real tossa) that he wouldnt consider me a full qualified mechanic until my 7th year (so finished apprenticeship and 3yrs tradie)!

however you still learn alot! especially from reading. and following peoples advice from JC and other forums! the more you do the more you will learn.

herb dunn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v8 355 manual ute
i am not trade qualified but i get more work than most mechanics and not one of my customers have complained or thrown a hissy fit they are all extremely happy with work carried out and always come back for other work (maybe too cheap my labour or i am just that good lol) been spinning spanners since i was 4 so that be 25 years lol playing with em