Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Minimum Wage...

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I was talking to my gf about pay etc. today as she never seems to have that much money despite working all week...

Now she works Wednesday to Sunday full time hours (9-9 on thurs, 7-5 sat and 9-5 the rest) yet she gets almost $100 a week less than me and I only work 25 hours a week now (im full time uni).

She's 18, works in retail, is a CASUAL employee too (although her hours are permanent) and she earns just over $10 an hour.

I know the minimum wage for adults (21) is $13.74 an hour for full and part time, about $16.50 for casuals.

So can anyone tell me, or link to a site that can give me the details on minimum wage for 18 year olds? It doesnt have to be in SA im just after a rough estimate.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
is she claiming the tax free threshold? if she isnt she could be getting taxed heaps and end up with less in the pocket at the end of the week.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hahaha, your funny man.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I'm a casual on $12.63 an hour (I'm 20 at the moment). I do a days work and get just over $100. My boss is wicked tho....he lets me use the workshop(panel/spray shop) basically for anything I want (in return for a few hours of free work), ya can't ask for much more then that. :thumbsup:

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
I'm a casual on $12.63 an hour (I'm 20 at the moment). I do a days work and get just over $100. My boss is wicked tho....he lets me use the workshop(panel/spray shop) basically for anything I want (in return for a few hours of free work), ya can't ask for much more then that. :thumbsup:

ur right about the benifits u get there that is good but i think ur mad workin 4 that rate y dont u go get an apprenticeship?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
mate welcome to workchoices, you are quoting the rates under the old award... An award that an apparently useless union would have forght for in the AIRC (australian industrial relations commission).

The new minimum wage for an adult is $13 something. Did your gf sign an agreement or what? Cause that's where you will find it. If she didn't, she needs to see what it says on her letter of offer. If it states award, she should be paid under the terms and conditions of that award until the 3 year "workchoices" transitional arrangements cease which is next year some time... Then its $13 and only 5 other minimum conditions. Unless she can manage to negotiate something better. Usually this goes something along the lines of; boss" want the job?" gf "yes" boss " here is the agreement, take it or leave it".

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news dude.

I quoted the 2007 rates from the Australian Fair Pay Commission's 2007 Minimum Wage Decision (13.74).

She's been working there for a year now so not sure what she has or hasn't signed but will ask tomorrow.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride

Hey man, cheers. I already checked the fairpay commission site which is where I got the minimum wage rates, but failed to find anything for 18 year olds, just Adult (21) rates and the rest were traineeships/apprenticeship rates.

I'll check the other one now though :)

is she claiming the tax free threshold? if she isnt she could be getting taxed heaps and end up with less in the pocket at the end of the week.

Yeah she is claiming it :(

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
i know there is such thing as junior rates and thats about ten bucks or less. but i wld not think she wld be classed as that bein 18. i thought they gave that to 16 and 17 year olds. cld be wrong tho worth checkin out

dijm8

What You Looking At
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS3
well im casual n gettin paid around $11.49 just got a 20 cent pay rise last week :) lol, n im only 17... n get taxed around $39 for a 20 hr week.. got a few m8's ther that r 18 n they get paid around the $13 mark so it shud b around ther im thinkin...