Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missing Extractor Bolts

Blade_Runner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8 V6
In short, I forgot to tighten the two bolts holding the S shaped part of the drivers side bank of extractors where it meets the Y piece (underneath next to the clutch cable, a bit further back from the steering pinion) and they dropped out when I was taking it for a test drive.
I can’t find any conclusive answers on the type of bolt they are. I measured the ID of the hole and it came up as ~ 7.5mm. The problem is I don’t have a thread pitch gauge and I don’t know if it’s actually metric or if it’s an imperial bolt. Extractors look to be pacemakers but I could be wrong.
Assuming metric it would be something like an M9 x 1.5.
If anyone knows anything about it, it would be a massive help. Cheers.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
In short, I forgot to tighten the two bolts holding the S shaped part of the drivers side bank of extractors where it meets the Y piece (underneath next to the clutch cable, a bit further back from the steering pinion) and they dropped out when I was taking it for a test drive.
I can’t find any conclusive answers on the type of bolt they are. I measured the ID of the hole and it came up as ~ 7.5mm. The problem is I don’t have a thread pitch gauge and I don’t know if it’s actually metric or if it’s an imperial bolt. Extractors look to be pacemakers but I could be wrong.
Assuming metric it would be something like an M9 x 1.5.
If anyone knows anything about it, it would be a massive help. Cheers.
I’d suggest the easiest and most accurate way will be to pull that piece of exhaust off and take the whole assembly to a bolt shop and get them to work out what bolt fits. At least that way you will be sure that it’s the correct bolt for the job and you won’t potentially strip out threads etc.

Reactions: Lex

Blade_Runner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8 V6
I’d suggest the easiest and most accurate way will be to pull that piece of exhaust off and take the whole assembly to a bolt shop and get them to work out what bolt fits. At least that way you will be sure that it’s the correct bolt for the job and you won’t potentially strip out threads etc.

cheers man will do

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You don't have any taps you can try in the hole? I'd buy a cheap set of taps to try for thread and size before I pulled out the extractors. Or even a few different sized bolts.
But I do hate working on exhaust headers.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
They should be M8 x 1.5 if they are Pacemaker. It's a ball type fitting with loose flanges that rotate around the pipe?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine took M12 and I had to use bolts with nuts on the Y pipe flange to the headers.
I thought the OP was referring to the little short pipe that has a flat flange and gasket, that's supposed to make them easier to fit but doesn't really help much.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Might have to clarify the car and engine. We are in VN-VP, his ride is a VT. Is the engine V6 or V8?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might have to clarify the car and engine. We are in VN-VP, his ride is a VT. Is the engine V6 or V8?

I thought it was VP, my bad. It's in the VP forum and VP V6 use the same Pacies and Y pipe as VR as you probably know.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
They should be M8 x 1.5 if they are Pacemaker. It's a ball type fitting with loose flanges that rotate around the pipe?

Are you sure? 8mm metric standard is 1.25mm. 8x1.5mm is an odd size.