Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Monaro not starting ??? Technical

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
The way i figure it, the solenoid on starter would need 12v to trigger. So there will be 12v + on one side fed from the engine. On the other side you would have the feed into the starter solenoid. On the trigger section one side should be grounded. The other pin will be trigger. Test the resistance between the earth pin and the body. Test the power difference from the trigger wire to ground. Test the power reading from the ignition to ground. Worst case scenario, run a feed from your start on your barrel to the trigger pin on the relay. Will get you out of the shite for a while

Loveit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro cv8
Theres nothing wrong with the start pin

Pin 30 = constant 12v (working fine)
Pin 87 = ground to starter reley (working fine)
Pin 85 = 12v from key to crank ( working fine)
Pin 86 = no idea but i think nut kracker is saying its a ground

Ps: when i say i get 4.7v on the pin 86 that is by putting positive side of mulitmeter to pin 86 and neg of multi to earth terminal on battery

Last edited:

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
85 and 86 are trigger. 87 should be feed in and 30 out. Pull the cover off of a relay and have a look at it in the inside. Should be a big electro magnet that pulls the arm closed. If you squeeze it does it crank?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 165

Loveit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro cv8
Ok so we are all on the same page but use different ways to explain the relay action

86 is still the issue and it has to be an earth and earth through the inhibitor switch on autos or through somewhere else on manuals

So how did i get a positive 4.7v through a wire that should have ground?

Loveit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro cv8
I just wired the relay up externally ( sitting on the gaurd with wires running to where the relay pins are)
But with 86 going to negative on the battery and the car started with the key as normal

I just cant under stand what happened to pin 86 how does it go from negative to positive

Biggest question now also is .... Where the hell does this grey wire on pin 86 ???? To inhibitor on auto or where on manual????? Bcm pcm ?
Some thing is activating the earth when ignition is turned on

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
There might be a trip to the Auto Elecs soon.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I just wired the relay up externally ( sitting on the gaurd with wires running to where the relay pins are)
But with 86 going to negative on the battery and the car started with the key as normal

I just cant under stand what happened to pin 86 how does it go from negative to positive

Biggest question now also is .... Where the hell does this grey wire on pin 86 ???? To inhibitor on auto or where on manual????? Bcm pcm ?
Some thing is activating the earth when ignition is turned on

Then that grey wire must be earth from the PCM
I would say it must go to the PCM. I just checked the voltage on pin 86 on my car. It only reads 0.15 volts near enough to full continuity to earth. (Pin 86 to earth). The 0.15 volts I get is probably just residual voltage from the loom. Your 4.7 volts is way to high. If that grey wire went straight to earth and NOT the PCM, you wouldn't get that type of voltage, plus you would get a reading with the ignition off.
There must be something wrong with the PCM or the wiring.

Loveit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro cv8
So the pcm senses ignition then opens a switch to earth the grey wire

Its crazy that a wire can go from being an ignition switched earth to an ignitiom switched 4.7v

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Not wrong. Look, I'm no expert and this is only what I have found from logic, the diagram, your findings and testing my car.
If I were you, I would take it to an auto electrician or god forbid, Holden, explain what is happening and what you have found out and discussed with us on the forum..