Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More furl efficient

Wallace82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Executive Series 2
Ive been told that an inline 6 is generally more fuel efficient than a V6. is this true?

**Fuel

Last edited:

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I'd hate to say that the ford online 6 drinks more than the commi v6, but in saying that, I think there is common conception that the online motors produce more torque.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
No different in fuel efficiency between the two; they're both simply multiples of a single cylinder.

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
HJ Belmont, VN Calais, VX SS
I've got our V6 VN up to almost 40mpg @ 110km/h with the family and all our crap in it (on NZ roads). It was only doing 31 when I bought it... 4 speed auto. My worked 202 with YT head, XU1 cam, SU's, HEI blah blah blah, and 5 speed might get 23mpg with just me in it. The HJ is lighter than the VN, but the difference in economy is the EFI and the fancy chip and exhaust I've fitted.
Each car is different.. horses for courses.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I have heard quite a few times that an inline 6 is more powerful / efficient than the same capacity V6 but I have never seen or read any supporting proof of this. The purpose of a V6 is to make the engine more compact. Also apparently this "efficiency" is the opposite with an 8. A V8 is better than an inline 8.
I would doubt there would be much in it though if there was any truth or car companies wouldn't bother with the V6.
I reckon you should get MythBusters to test this one out!