Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More power from Ecotec na

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
OK , here's my helpful comment from my experience.

With Mace external bolt on bits and an exhaust I've got the torque back down in the rev range and fixed up the response so it goes like it should when I need it to, unlike the detuned lump it came as from the factory, (for the 'general' public).

It came from the previous guy with firmed up standard height suspension.

Then I tarted up the inside with leather and chrome and seatcovers. Outside got different but subtle lights.

I like it. Big wagon in a big country, will cruise comfy all day.

Hey ! a single woman even said I had "a sweet ride " the other day :)

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Lighten up. One of the posters did provide useful info. Yeah some of us had a laugh because this is such a hackneyed topic.

Didn't see anything helpful from you, though. Just a whinge about the rest of us.

It would have only taken YOU two minutes to help oldmate, too. So why didn't you? You've posted twice in this thread and added nothing worthwhile, yet your signature indicates you run a modified 6.

I did not add anything to the op questions, yes that is correct.

Why.....

Let me explain.
I have been a member on here for about 9 years. I have watched and participated in threads like this many times. 90% of the time the thread ends up going the same way, downhill faster than the Jamaican bob sled team.
Why, because the same group of people that like to think that they are into cars or a enthusiast, do their hardest to bag the hell out of anything that is not a V8.
Yet most that do the bagging do not have a nice grunty V8. They are just following the lead of others that think that it is fun to bag anyone that wants to play with a V6.....

I have seen over the years at how close mined and how little they know about the V6 scene in general.... They just sit back and mash the keyboard until loads of nonsensical diatribe flows freely.

If more were like Jecs on this forum, then it would be a far better place.
He is what I class as a true car person.
I have never met Jecs and don't even know if he likes the V6, but even if he doesn't, he at least helps out with good information, without feeling the need to belittle a persons choice in having a V6.

Thanks for pointing out my signature, needs a little updating seeing that it is now pushing out a bit more ;) Poor little V6......

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Why.....

Let me explain.
I have been a member on here for about 9 years. I have watched and participated in threads like this many times. 90% of the time the thread ends up going the same way, downhill faster than the Jamaican bob sled team.
Why, because the same group of people that like to think that they are into cars or a enthusiast, do their hardest to bag the hell out of anything that is not a V8.
Yet most that do the bagging do not have a nice grunty V8. They are just following the lead of others that think that it is fun to bag anyone that wants to play with a V6.....

I have seen over the years at how close mined and how little they know about the V6 scene in general.... They just sit back and mash the keyboard until loads of nonsensical diatribe flows freely.

I have never met Jecs and don't even know if he likes the V6, but even if he doesn't, he at least helps out with good information, without feeling the need to belittle a persons choice in having a V6.

Thanks for pointing out my signature, needs a little updating seeing that it is now pushing out a bit more ;) Poor little V6......

That's a fair explanation. I did say in my earlier post that the whole concept of modifying the V6 was a "hackneyed topic" and you have pretty well stated something similar.

However, I think you're turning your eyes away from the facts when you say that very few people offer really valuable information to others seeking help. Are you talking about the whole forum, or just V6 modifications?

I'll admit that my contribution was worthless - it was purely tongue in cheek and wasn't helpful to the OP. So were some other posts. Some guys want to go to the trouble and expense of extracting more power from these engines whilst others think it's a waste of time and V8's are the only way to go. I'm the third option - I was happy to leave the stock standard V6 in my earlier cars exactly as the manufacturer built them, because I was perfectly happy with the way they ran. IMO, any money spent on getting more out them would have been wasted because really big improvements cost really big money. You must have spent a mint on yours (unless your sig. is just a huge wank) so if you're happy with the results, good for you.

Open your eyes and your mind. There are plenty of people here who give their time and advice to genuinely help others and it's usually pretty good. So some of us take the piss out of others from time to time. Just because some guys think the V6 isn't worth the effort doesn't mean their contributions to the forum on other threads have no value.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
That's a fair explanation. I did say in my earlier post that the whole concept of modifying the V6 was a "hackneyed topic" and you have pretty well stated something similar.

However, I think you're turning your eyes away from the facts when you say that very few people offer really valuable information to others seeking help. Are you talking about the whole forum, or just V6 modifications?

I'll admit that my contribution was worthless - it was purely tongue in cheek and wasn't helpful to the OP. So were some other posts. Some guys want to go to the trouble and expense of extracting more power from these engines whilst others think it's a waste of time and V8's are the only way to go. I'm the third option - I was happy to leave the stock standard V6 in my earlier cars exactly as the manufacturer built them, because I was perfectly happy with the way they ran. IMO, any money spent on getting more out them would have been wasted because really big improvements cost really big money. You must have spent a mint on yours (unless your sig. is just a huge wank) so if you're happy with the results, good for you.

Open your eyes and your mind. There are plenty of people here who give their time and advice to genuinely help others and it's usually pretty good. So some of us take the piss out of others from time to time. Just because some guys think the V6 isn't worth the effort doesn't mean their contributions to the forum on other threads have no value.

I think that you may have taken some of what I said the wrong way, or as usual I was a bit **** in explaining it.
I was more pointing out the that it is ALWAYS the same people that bag anyone that wants to play with there V6.
But yes, there are great people that help out in general and they to me are the REAL car guys.
Now don't get me wrong, I love just about any engine that uses fuel and makes noise. Everything from 2 piston one cylinder engines through to rotaries, radials and W16....
Do I think the V6 is a the holy grail?? Hell no!!!!
But I do think that if you own one and you want to work on it and improve it then you should be able to without the same people trying to make out that you are stupid for doing so..
You can apply the same argument to those that have a V8 and laugh at a V6.... Why do they not update to a V10, V12 or a W16 as by their train of thoughts, bigger must be better..

I will admit I have spent a lot on mine over the years, but no where near what some people think! Yep I could have used a different power plant and made even more power.
BUT that's not what I wanted to do.
We have the freedom of choice, I made my choice in 1999 and I am still more than happy with it.
I used MY money to do what I have done, so for others to say it was or is a waste, I say well, I am more than happy with it and it is not your money!

Some people may doubt my out put and that is fine by me. All my dyno sheets are posted here as well as the results of many Hill Climbs, Street Sprints and track days..
But for those that doubt, well there is nothing you can do about that....

My eyes are open as is my mind. I did not get to where I am now with cars by not sitting back and listening and learning...
I tip my hat at all those that are helpful on the forums, as that is what there are all about. But just because you help one style of engine, does not give them the right to bag another...
People can have the opinion that the V6 is worthless, I have no issue with that at all, but the same people always seem to need to give there opinion and try to belittle others as they do not agree with that platform.
You do not see the fast V6 guys going in to the V8 help threads and telling them they are wasting their time and money. So why should they do it to the V6 guys.
Makes no sense.
And for those that live in a sheltered existence, there are L67 and ECOTEC in the 8 second brackets these days for the 1/4 mile, with HP levels up near 800HP....

There is a huge difference between having a bit of fun and bagging peoples choices.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Tonyz Garage changed the game. $3.2k and you're turboed (on the assumption you can DIY). You'd need to part with about $4k to start at a half decent stock LS (unless you get lucky like me) and take it from me it's a step back in the race stakes. Then factor in that blowing up and replacing an L27/36 costs practically nothing.

The trick is to not waste your cash on minor bolt ons.

Yes the LS has more potential but you're going to be looking at a circa $10k investment TCO for cams or boost and when you blow it up add another couple + k.

ls1mike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice L77
**** I still can't believe you guys get RWD 3800's and Manual ones...I feel like we got fuc... literally. :)
Pisses me off. I get FWD L67s.

Did you ever get the L32?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Why.....

Let me explain.

I know it's hard but sometimes it's just easier to ignore the (V8 only) trolls......