Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More power

Matty14

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute 5speed 3.8L
I know ive post a fair bit of threads on here and some people properly think were I get the money from well there just threads for when I have money and just want to know answers for my questions.

What's the holdens vu v6 power to mass ratio?
I know it's pointless wanting more power when I'm only a p plater when they can only have130kW per tonne and have 3years on them maybe more so I was just wondering how I can boost that power to the limit without noticeable changers?

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
What's the holdens vu v6 power to mass ratio?

Power(kW)/Weight(kg) = kW/kg

147/1533 = 0.096kW/kg

Your best way to improve power to weight ratio is either by increasing your cars power or reducing your cars weight.

Do you drive an auto or a manual? Manual will general have better acceleration than their auto counterpart.

EDIT: You want to keep a stock look/sound while improving power to weight ratio? Not many ways you can do this unfortunately.

Matty14

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute 5speed 3.8L
I don't get that tho cause it has to be under 130kW per tonne so what's the 0.096 mean?

It's a 5speed cause there more fun to drive then a 4speed

I know I can get a cam package, that will increase the power and its not noticeable
Is there any other parts I can upgrade to get more power out of the engine
I'm getting a 2.25 manta exhaust and hurricane extractors from "not_an_abba_fan"

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
could probably go with a cam package. I think a cold air intake added something like 14kw (could be wrong here). the exhaust as you've mentioned your getting. possibly a bigger throttle body, if you want a quicker take off could look into diff gears? but in the end its a 6. my old vn v6 had a cam package, exhaust, cai, throttle body all that stuff probably went a fraction harder than my vp bt1 v6, my opinion its not worth all the $$$ just get a nice exhaust and maybe a CAI and leave it at that. blow your cash on a v8 later ;)

tsommerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Calais S/Charged 6
kW/kg -> kW/ton is just a maths thing. Times the 0.096 by 1000 (because there are 1000 kilos in a ton) and you'll get 96. This means there are 96 kilowatts per tonne being produced from your current setup. If you really want to increase performance (in this aspect) you can increase power, decrease weight or both. Power gains from the stock ecotec without putting a charger on there can be challenging.

Generally what I'd recommend (if budget is no limit mind) is a full rebuild with a different cam, bigger throttle body, blue printed and balanced bottom end, bigger injectors, ported and polished heads, remapping the ECU (MAF less tune to increase responsiveness, etc), bored out cylinders with bigger pistons (I think the limit is around 4.3 litres-ish), removing accessories such as aircon and the like for starters. If you want to produce more power after you get off your p's you should strengthen the bottom end (forged pistons/conrods, etc) and valvetrain, i.e. all the turbo/supercharger supporting mods that need to be done, then stick a massive turbo on there.

With regards to making the car lighter, not a lot can be done here without dramatically reducing the usability/legality of the car. Taking out things like the spare tyre, passenger seat, some of the internal door trim, replacing the glass with perspex, or even fabricating your own body panels out of some lighter materials (such as aluminium) are just some of the things you can do.

All in all, it is still gonna be a commodore ute and unless you also do the suspension upgrades, brake upgrades, driveline upgrades, etc you're not gonna get the best from it even if you do manage to get it to the 130kW/ton ratio. But I hope this helps with your decision making.

EDIT: Btw, this isn't a complete list of what you can do, just a few things that popped into my head when thinking about tuning.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Don't forget that your ute is over 10 years old now, so it would have less than the 147kw it was released with.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Victoria doesn't use power to weight, it was removed over 5 years ago. The current rules are simply an outright ban on ANY 8+ Cylinders, superchargers, turbo and any mod that could be used to increase power. This means you can't do anything. Even an exhaust or CAI carries a fine over a grand.

That said, get a MACE manifold insulator, because unless a cop pulls the top off the engine he won't see it. Diff gears will also dramatically improve take-off, and there's no way they could prove you have them unless they watch the revs at 100kmph. The best thing you can do to keep the car legal is service the crap out of it. Clean the MAF, throttle body, plenum. Replace the fluids a few times, run some oil flush, get top range coolant. Then focus on visual mods, interior stuff, put in a nice head unit. then hop no one notices your Exhaust, My mate got done in his statemans for that, very painful >_<.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
The modifications would need to be discreet and not easily noticed as according to the Vicroads web site no engine modifications are allowed on P plates.
So a big lumpy cam might have the police taking a closer look.

From the Vicroads web site:

What are the criteria for a probationary prohibited vehicle?
A probationary prohibited vehicle is a vehicle that:

Has an engine with eight cylinders or more, or

Has an engine that is turbocharged or supercharged (except diesel vehicles, all Smart models, Suzuki Cappucino and Daihatsu Copen). There are also some lower powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles which have been exempted and can be operated by a probationary driver who has been given an exemption by VicRoads

Has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle, or

A nominated high performance six cylinder engine.

Matty14

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute 5speed 3.8L
Cheers for the information and advise guys very helpful

How could the police notice a cam package when the cam is inside the engine

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Depending on how lumpy the cam is......engine/car shake, also exhaust noise.
Believe me, they'll know.