Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More problems

D_BLOCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VF SS UTE
Ok so the VX previous history is rebuilt engine etc... and problems with lack of power ever since it blew.
All sensors replaced ,scanned etc..everything shows up good.

Well just now the missus driving home and all the dash lights light up from left to right then clearing, it did that same sequence about 3-4 times. I had her leave it running and now its sitting here with ABS, and trac light on, but none of the gauges work speedo, RPM and theres no digital read out ie...fuel, km etc...

Im trying to find a bloody paper clip to check the codes..

Any ideas guys? I allready have the abs module in the back of my mind but totally no gauges working ? im not sure.

D_BLOCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VF SS UTE
OK the dash wont stay stable long enough for me to count the codes, it shuts all functions down aprat from ABS and trac.

You guys wont believe how close I am to pushing this car off a cliff and claiming insurance, ive had a gut full.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
Is there anything you changed or didn't change when you put the new motor in. I would be thinking something electrical.

D_BLOCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VF SS UTE
Nah its all the same since the rebuild apart from all new sensors to fault find the lack of power. Im thinking electrical to, like possibly it partially fried the ECU when it blew and has slowly degraded since. Because aside from lack of power it uses alot of fuel and the distance to go read out is allways recalibrating, ie...from start it could say 180km to go then driving 3km it will say I have 75km worth of fuel to go.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
I haven't had much to do with commodores, well at least working on them for years, so I will be relying on some help from you. I am wondering what it is that controls the guages is it the PCM or BCM. If its the PCM is the chip removable and if it is are all PCM's the same for a givern model and it's only the chip that is different. I read that the PCM and BCM are matched to each other. I was gonna suggest if you can get a wrecker special BCM and PCM wack them in on the provision that the chip is the only difference between the commodore models as I noticed you have a supercharged VX.

D_BLOCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VF SS UTE
Thanks also for the response Locksmiff,
You just reminded me I have a spare chip I can try to clear this new problem, at least that way I will know its not the chip and it is indeed something else . Only draw back with that is the chip is a blackstar7000 LOL.
I haven't had much to do with commodores, well at least working on them for years, so I will be relying on some help from you. I am wondering what it is that controls the guages is it the PCM or BCM. If its the PCM is the chip removable and if it is are all PCM's the same for a givern model and it's only the chip that is different. I read that the PCM and BCM are matched to each other. I was gonna suggest if you can get a wrecker special BCM and PCM wack them in on the provision that the chip is the only difference between the commodore models as I noticed you have a supercharged VX.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
I have been doing a bit of reading. It won't be the BCM. I personally don't think it will be the chip as it doesn't explain the odd dash issues. Is all the wiring perfect, nothing got exposed or pinched when putting the motor back in after the motor rebuild. I feel it maybe shorting somewhere or has shorted and maybe caused an issue with the PCM.

I may have it assed about as well so take it with a grain of salt. I am remembering back to my VN and its ECU (PCM) its dash wiring went into the ECU (PCM)

D_BLOCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VF SS UTE
Well I got nothing better to do today, missus Is now at work with my SS :realangry: So I might as well grab a torch and start searching.
One would think that between Holden and the other performance shops That looked at it , one of them should have found a problem long ago.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
Well I got nothing better to do today, missus Is now at work with my SS :realangry: So I might as well grab a torch and start searching.
One would think that between Holden and the other performance shops That looked at it , one of them should have found a problem long ago.
You would think so would'nt you.