Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MP3 through standard sound system

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Marks-VY said:
I have just had my factory VY stereo modified by Phreddy and I have to say it is the only way to go ...

Phreddy also provided low-level outputs from the original stereo so I could connect a power amp (800watt), using the clean pre-amp signal. The result is a crystal clean sound with no buzz or noise from the amp (which I was getting by using the hi-low convertors previously).

So he's done one for you has he Mark? How does it sound - happy with it?

He's a bugger!! Ive been speaking to Phreddy about doing mine since August and he's been too busy! ;) Na, to be fair - we've both been busy (Hi Phreddy if you're reading this!).
Ive had a listen to his system in his VZ and Im way impressed for the stock head unit and you can keep the steering controls etc. I'd recommend him to anyone with a VY / VZ. Im getting my low level outputs installed by him just after xmas. You've made me think about the MP3 inputs now. He's already trying to tempt me with the blue dash conversion! Where does it end? :yeah:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanks Darren. (4 the sticky)

And thanks to all for such positive comments too!

Hey Dave - you mouse cleaner worked real good! :rofl:

I mentioned in the other thread on this, but I'll re-iterate. The was a very small problem with the Aux board when used with the mobile phone input, in that if the Aux input was selected and a call came in, instead of muting the music it was mixing the phone audio with the music. (works fine if the main source is used though - CD or radio, only a problem when Aux is selected)

Oh, hey Mark - if it's an issue for you, we'll work something out about catching up and I'll fix it up for you.

I realise that this is only an issue for those with the mobile phone input utilised as well, but I'd prefer to get it right. As it turned out it's real hard to fix anyway. I'm fairly sure I have a solution, and will be able to confirm this tonight.

Thanks again guys!

Cheerz. :thumbsup:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Hi Phreddy,

Not a biggie for the moment, it is easy enough to hit the AUX button if a call comes in, although I do use the phone on the road a lot with work so when you work it out, let me know.

Another bonus with the input - I can catch up with all my old tapes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I know we all have intentions of converting to CD or replacing them but hey, has anyone out there actually done it?? With my old walkman plugged in I am now pumping out Led Zep, Hendrix, Iron Maiden, you name it :bang: (yes, a die hard head banger...) :shutup:

For anyone considering inputs or outputs, I would suggest do them together like I did, and convert the LED's to blue while you are at it. ;)

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
Marks-VY said:
I have just had my factory VY stereo modified by Phreddy and I have to say it is the only way to go if you want to run an IPod/MP3 player.

FM transmitters have a very narrow frequency range, which means you will not hear the quality sound that a CD/MP3 provides. Also, the mod shown by "the lug" is a simple but shorcut solution.

:

Yeh but MP3's have reduced frequency ranges too. How do you think they get so many of them in an IPOD/SD etc. MP3s do not provide quality sound - Probably close to that of an FM Radio I'd say.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey BottFodder - I agree with you, that MP3s aren't particularly good sound quality.

Although that does depend on the conversion bitrate too - 256Kbps or better is getting close, but obviously the files are larger. At 128Kbps they sound pretty ragged, but you can fit a load more in. Boils down to what the individual's needs are really.

Anyhow, cheerz All - compliments of the season....

PS - got the phone input thing sorted too - we'll catch up Mark, and I'll sort it for you.

fruity

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive
Hey Phreddy ,sounds liKe you need a holiday or time away from all the installations you do. Why dont you come down to good old Melbourne .....and do my radio for mp3 music listening for me.:rofl:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Fruity - gimme a place to crash and bung on the beers, and I'll think about it!! ;)

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
BottFodder said:
Yeh but MP3's have reduced frequency ranges too. How do you think they get so many of them in an IPOD/SD etc. MP3s do not provide quality sound - Probably close to that of an FM Radio I'd say.

Have to say I am a little confused. I have been researching the internet in preparation for buying an MP3 player and just about all of them quote 20-20k range, which probably exceeds most people's hearing range and exceeds the capability of most speaker sets. :confused:

I thought the bitrate determines the sound quality and the higher the bitrate-the high the memory usage, therefore get a large capacity player. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks,
Mark.

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
Marks-VY said:
Have to say I am a little confused. I have been researching the internet in preparation for buying an MP3 player and just about all of them quote 20-20k range, which probably exceeds most people's hearing range and exceeds the capability of most speaker sets. :confused:

I thought the bitrate determines the sound quality and the higher the bitrate-the high the memory usage, therefore get a large capacity player. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks,
Mark.
That is correct. The higher bit rate makes for a smoother sound and also takes up more memory ie 128bit is on average 4meg for 4 mins where as 256 is double obviously.