Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MR2 SW20 Stereo - Need Opinions

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I was the one asking about the Focal 165KR splits.

I've got a MR2 SW20 and building my system up.

Deck: Alpine 9887
Splits: Focal 165KR or SoundStream TRC6N
Wiring: Rockford
Processor: Rockford 3Sixty
Sub: Not sure yet. Need opinions.
Amps: Depending on Speakers/Subs.

Currently I've got 2x 10" Alpine Type S, and they've got some kick (because they right behind me). Because I don't need as much power like having the sub in the boot (Hifonic Olympus 2412) of the VS. I was thinking I might get some SQ subs. Any recomendations?

I had a look at the Morel Ultimo 12 but they are a bit costly ~$1400, and so are the Focal 33KX's. So I was thinking maye 2x 12" Alpine X's? they are quite well regarded.

As you can see I don't have much space to work with. Could I even fit 2x X's in there? I've removed that centre glovebox maybe get a custom box made to work around the centre console and make 1 enclosure for 2 subs to get the most volume for the boxes.

Attachments

• mr2 subs alpine.jpg
    mr2 subs alpine.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 3,389
Last edited:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Guys, your letting me down.

Rockford/Alpine/SoundStream sub?

Better for SQ. Looking at 12"

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Well im not a big SQ person myself, so i cant comment too much. I too have heard good things about the Type Xs but i think theres better subs out there for the money.
Box size will also be an issue, but if you went ahead and removed the upper section of the centre console you could fit a decent (1.8-2.0 cu.ft.) box in there.

Some other suggestions for subs from me are:
ID MAX 10s/12s
Peerless 10" XXLS

Theres a few others but im sure you'd have the depth to play with.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Go a Focal Bus 25. Slim sub but man does it kick. Put it in utes all the time.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Well im not a big SQ person myself, so i cant comment too much. I too have heard good things about the Type Xs but i think theres better subs out there for the money.
Box size will also be an issue, but if you went ahead and removed the upper section of the centre console you could fit a decent (1.8-2.0 cu.ft.) box in there.

Some other suggestions for subs from me are:
ID MAX 10s/12s
Peerless 10" XXLS

Theres a few others but im sure you'd have the depth to play with.

Thx for the suggestions, I don't know much bout SQ subs either. That's why I don't really know what to look for. Alpine/Rockford/SoundStream is what Alberts sells, but I'm more than happy to buy something decent from Joe if he's got something.

Edit: Recon I could pick up 2 Subs for <$1000?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah i'd say its possible, depends on what your after though. I personally wouldnt bother with listening to a sub in a shop, it'll sound completely different in your car (especially yours).

My pick for value would be the Peerless, but send 2LOUD2OLD a message and see what he thinks, he used to have a 12 i believe.

Also, youre best bet on deciding a sub is to read as many reviews as you can, its the only way of getting a "decent" idea on how they perform....heres one i found on MEA regarding the 10s (may have to be a member to read, but theres plenty of helpful info and advice so its well worth signing up):

Peerless 10" XXLS 830876 Review - Mobile Electronics Australia

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
What not look at something from the Boston Accoustics range for SQ?

I'm lookin through the 2009 awards list and another mag from in-car entertainment.

is there a australian distributor for Morel? Apparently WestSide Audio sell Morel. Might give them a call and see what the prices are for these Morel, supposed to be #1 SQ sub.

then the Focal 33WX2 with the Audio Development MM12. then the Alpine Type X with 4 1/2 stars.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
+1 for Boston, although not sure if they sell the g5 anymore which would have been perfect for a small box.

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
Call me :D

0424 141 390

I'll work something out :D