Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 02 Black VX II SS 6 speed

MALATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
Hi all,
After reading through people's different threads on their cars I thought I'd share what I've got. This is my toy and only comes out maybe once a week if that.

Name - Frank

Location - Sydney

Body - Stock SS

Interior - Stock cloth trim

Km's - 75000

Stereo - Kenwood DVD, JL c2 front splits, JL c2's in rear doors, JL 5 channel amp, MTX 12" sub

Wheels - stock VX SS

Suspension - stock FE2

Engine - LS1, Mafless tune, OTR, FAST Intake manifold, 92mm TB, FAST Fuel rails

Transmission - 6 speed manual

Exhaust - Hi tech 2.5" stainless twin, cats, pacemaker 4 into 1, with 1.75" primaries

I bought it a couple of years ago completely stock so i could have a weekend cruiser, it had only 69k on it and bit by bit I started to do the mods. I'm happy with what ive done with the sound system, but am more focused now on performance.
My first dyno run at completely stock, before even doing the exhaust was just over 250hp.
After the dyno run I did the complete exhaust, mafless tune, otr, 92mm tb, and intake manifold, and the place I got the mafless tune done in Sydney got me 350hp at the wheels. I was a bit skeptical about this and thought his dyno might have been a bit too happy, and I was unhappy with the tune as the car was backfiring way too much, so I took my car to my cousins workshop at Erina and got him to re- do the tune. Before he touched it his dyno read a more realistic 310hp - 320hp at the wheels, so there definitely was something funny about the other guys dyno.
After he re did the mafless tune I still got the same power but most of the backfiring was gone and now it just crackles nicely.
So now I'm in the process of deciding which way I want to head, I was considering a full rebuild with more cubes, as I am a mechanic and would be doing it myself but decided to leave the bottom end for now as the k's are still low and the LS1 bottom end are quite strong. Was thinking about cam, heads, rockers and supercharger, but I think I'm going to leave the supercharger idea as it will add a fair bit of cost, and put the money to other things, and go for after market heads, cam, etc etc.
Let me know what you think.
Frank.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342275347.136200.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342275412.516652.jpg

Last edited:

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Sorry mate, gotta have a airbagged v6 to have a popular thread here.

Looks beautiful! And mods sound awesome :)

summerZ

SMRBGD
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II S

sorry cam, its not our fault we cant drive anything with good performance yet.. well i cant :(

and frank, everything you have done so far sounds great. would be an excellent weekend cruiser! :)

666-GMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive

Or maybe that the airbagged v6 threads have been around for ages hence lots of people have checked them out. A lot of the people who come on this site are 17-22 who can't hit up a v8, but want to mod their car.
As what SummerZ said, it's not our fault we can't drive anything fast yet.

Malato, get some more pics up! Black VX's rock my world.
And, #### all Km's on the old girl, Would love to see it charged.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yep, unless you are bagging it or adding a turbo it doesnt get much traffic in the forums.

I decided I dont care and will update mine anyway.

Good to see another black SS.

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
nice work mate. FAST intakes look sweet as! Still need to do the rails on mine though.

MALATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
Thanks for the comments guys, this is really the only forum
I've posted in but might get onto ls1 forum soon when I get some time. Still trying to decide if I should go supercharged or not before I decide which heads to get.
I'll try and get some more photos up soon.

MALATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
nice work mate. FAST intakes look sweet as! Still need to do the rails on mine though.

As for the fast rails they have discoloured pretty quickly from when they were new, and they look a bit ugly now, (only prob done around 2000k with them) possibly due to the heat under the bonnet. I'll be addressing the heat issue under the bonnet by ceramic coating my extractors when I take them off.

Matt02SS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS + VY exec + Vs wagon
Looks nice mate! Did u find much difference with the manifold?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

MALATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
Thanks Matt,
Because I did the manifold at the same time as the tune I couldn't really tell what gains I got from it, if any at all. The manifold will really come alive once I do the cam and heads where I will be flowing alot more air through it, and will justify having the bigger mouth on it.