Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2006 VZ SS 6L Manual ute! (never dial-up friendly)

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Yeah I thought that, I might just do that also then just run the cable all the way to the head unit. I'm more worried about how to run the cable into the tailgate and down the side but guess I'll figure it out

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Okay so a few pictures below but got the reverse camera fitted and working with no issues at all. As i guessed just wired it up to the reverse light and the back of the headunit, my headunit has an option to go into the camera automatically when you hit reverse.

Tub liner was really easy to pull out, anyway wanting to know just lift it up in the middle and bend it out after you take the 4 screws out

Drilled a little hole next to the license plate light so it clips in all snug with the camera wiring

For anyone curious, i ran it up through this hole (don't mind the red wiring we used it as a yellow tongue replacement to pull the wiring through)

Camera working + the mounting:

In other news I found out after my short shifter install and doing the front bolts up really tight it was a long day and forgot to double check the back bolts, they were loose and leaking oil all down the gearbox haha.. But all is fixed now.

Also was having a metallic sounding issue, found out both of my muffler mounts snapped and was rubbing on the tailshaft.

So all issues have been fixed now which is good, went to fit the short shifter in my brothers car today and the rubber below is absolutely cactus. I thought why not chuck a few coins in there to make it better haha - isn't as sloppy anymore..

That's it for today pretty much, just need to get the brackets rewelded and get the cam next but be a while before that unfortunately.

EDIT: well one more thing, I figured I would pull it apart AGAIN and fit my bluetooth microphone and actually start using it since that's one of the features of my head unit. I put the speaker in where the Beeper is in the cluster so it's hidden and apparently still sounds clear enough.

Last edited:

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I had a look at mine the other day and theres a bit of dust and crud under the tub liner so looks like ill be pulling mine out soon too

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I had a look at mine the other day and theres a bit of dust and crud under the tub liner so looks like ill be pulling mine out soon too

Yeah I cleaned it up after the picture - definitely no rust in mine though like others have had

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
camshaft dilemma.
are you ever really and truly going to use high up in the rev range?
seriously, will you ever really use anything about 3500 every day :p

go the smaller one that you actually want and will actually be in the rev ranges for more often.
its a daily, not a weekender afterall

I think I might of talked myself back into the VCM480...

I've researched sooooo much into camshafts and I think i'm going to stick with a mid 22x cam..

This one is 224 228 110LSA - suited more for cathedral ports as the split isn't that big but still nets close to 300RWKW while running out of puff around 6500RPM. The 110LSA will make it idle like a beast but i'm sure i posted that video couple of pages back.

Main thing I was thinking was if i got a cam in a high rpm range, i'll want to hit it all the time (obviously) and I don't like the idea of reving to 7K rpm, sooner or later something is gunna give up..

Hopefully don't talk myself out of this, but people with the same spec cam say very big torque all the way through from midrange with almost no surging.

With that cam and my 3.9's, it should definitely be a 'seat in the pants' feel i hope.