Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My First Car - 2005 VZ SV6

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I'm tempted to fit the adventura flared wheel arches on my SV6 they are black and me car is black so shoud look good. front guards shoudnt be a prob not 100% sure bout the rear guards. and the costs. hopefully this would also keep a lot of the tyre spray of the sides of the car.

Yeah if the mud guard is warped too much I'll take them off, did you find the car got any dirtier with the mud guards off?

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
I'm tempted to fit the adventura flared wheel arches on my SV6 they are black and me car is black so shoud look good. front guards shoudnt be a prob not 100% sure bout the rear guards. and the costs. hopefully this would also keep a lot of the tyre spray of the sides of the car.

Hmm not sure about that. Try the coupe4, I reckon they look cleaner.

Car is pretty filthy at the moment, I wanted to wash it on Saturday but then I saw the forecast for this week...rain everyday! I'll wait till it clears up. I might get a cut and polish for my car as well, particularly the front bar its got so much stuff that won't come off.

Jacking up the car tonight to redo the strut brace. When I put them on in September I didn't jack it up, then I read on here you need the suspension unloaded so I'll do that tonight.

Will do the mudguards tonight as well, not sure if I'll ditch or keep.

Might give the K&N a clean as well.

Other than that, I plan on getting my windows tinted next year as well the SS pedals and maybe my audio upgrade.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I'd keep the guards. I've heard of people who pull them off getting heaps of stone chips. Not worth the hassle imo.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
I ended up leaving my mud guards. Car is filthy especially after the weekend. Went to watch the local drags and it was wet so I got mud in the car and when I parked I went just a touch too far forward and got my front spoiler in a dirt mound...so the car looks a total mess! The good part was I took my girlfriend to her first drag meet, she loved it too!

Anyway, I digress...in the service record there's a service for 67,500 with 0.4 hours labour, no parts listed, which by my calculations is $44 @ $110/hour. I do a lot of highway driving so I stretch Bullitt's legs every week and he gets a good run. What do they do in this "service" and since I regularly drive at highway speeds do I need it? Car has been running fine.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I ended up leaving my mud guards. Car is filthy especially after the weekend. Went to watch the local drags and it was wet so I got mud in the car and when I parked I went just a touch too far forward and got my front spoiler in a dirt mound...so the car looks a total mess! The good part was I took my girlfriend to her first drag meet, she loved it too!

Anyway, I digress...in the service record there's a service for 67,500 with 0.4 hours labour, no parts listed, which by my calculations is $44 @ $110/hour. I do a lot of highway driving so I stretch Bullitt's legs every week and he gets a good run. What do they do in this "service" and since I regularly drive at highway speeds do I need it? Car has been running fine.

I'm not doing the "middle" services - only for dusty conditions

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
if its just for an oil change you'll get slugged atleast $80, change the oil yourself, thats what i plan on doing

kinga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I fitted the strut brace on my vz by only lifting the passenger side wheel. It literally would not fit on when the car was on the ground. There mus be a fair bit of movement inwards on the strut towers, as there was about 5mm clearance missing on the ground vs the passenger side lifted up. With it lifted up the strut tower was 5mm further out letting me fit the brace. Quite a bit of movement, i can only imagine how much further it moves under hard cornering. I think it makes the car more rigid, and turns harder and further before it starts to break loose at the front
WHats the reasoning behind lifting the whole car up?

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
I fitted the strut brace on my vz by only lifting the passenger side wheel. It literally would not fit on when the car was on the ground. There mus be a fair bit of movement inwards on the strut towers, as there was about 5mm clearance missing on the ground vs the passenger side lifted up. With it lifted up the strut tower was 5mm further out letting me fit the brace. Quite a bit of movement, i can only imagine how much further it moves under hard cornering. I think it makes the car more rigid, and turns harder and further before it starts to break loose at the front
WHats the reasoning behind lifting the whole car up?

Your dead right about the hard cornering. My tyres didn't have much grip when I fitted the brace so I kept sqealing when I drove hard. New tyres and brakes fixed that!

The thinking behind lifting the whole car up is you unload the suspension putting it into a relaxed state. When you have both let alone one wheel on the ground you are still loading up the suspension. I had some car stands so I jacked up one side, put one stand in and then jacked up the other side and put another stand underneath the car.

kinga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
How have you found the 2 hole mod + MCAI? I think it is definitly louder, more throttle response at low revs, and definitly more stable power delivery than without MCAI.
I have sealed off the cold air cowling with alot of foam insulation tape and glue/goop to try to restrict air flow form the engine bay. Without it i think it is virtually useless, as there are gaps everywhere, below, and on the sides.
Did you try to seal up the MCAI housing at all?
Funny story, took my wife for a drive after doing the MCAI mod, and she commmented that my car was "much louder today" without knowing that i had done the mods, and told me to slow down cause i was goin faster than I normally do hehe.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
How have you found the 2 hole mod + MCAI? I think it is definitly louder, more throttle response at low revs, and definitly more stable power delivery than without MCAI.
I have sealed off the cold air cowling with alot of foam insulation tape and glue/goop to try to restrict air flow form the engine bay. Without it i think it is virtually useless, as there are gaps everywhere, below, and on the sides.
Did you try to seal up the MCAI housing at all?
Funny story, took my wife for a drive after doing the MCAI mod, and she commmented that my car was "much louder today" without knowing that i had done the mods, and told me to slow down cause i was goin faster than I normally do hehe.

It took a few kms of driving for my two hole mod to kick in. The main difference is it sounds good. Doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner now. As for if its faster, well that's questionable. But I feel that there is a little more pick up than before. Its a lot better than spending $600 at SS inductions.

I didn't bother sealing it up because I didn't feel it was totally necessary. I did seal up the new pipe in the air box but that was it.

I didn't feel or hear the mod until I turned a corner in anger after driving for 5 minutes because I was ****ed that there was no improvement in induction roar. With the windows down I heard this muffled roar exiting the corner...and thats all she wrote.