Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Future Audio system, need advice!

G

Gamble

Ok, i need some help and advice on my soon to be brought system, now iam a little ignorant when it comes to the technical side of Subs and Amps and all that so:

Iam Purchasing two 12" 150watt rms JL Audio Subs.
My Question is...
-Are JL's good.... i been told they are but ey
-150watt rms... is that powerfull? bare in mind theres two of em, i want deep base as i listen to hip hop and rnb mostly.
-What kinda Amp is needed to run these subs?

ok another question is.... i was thinkin bout mounting the tweeters in each corner of the roof, like on the four piller things.... understand? is that a good idea? or will it sound crap?

feedback would be appreciated!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Gamble said:
-Are JL's good.... i been told they are but ey

JL's are a reasonable brand. In the end it comes down purely to YOUR ears. Not your mates, not your folks, not the prick in the store selling them to you and most certainly...do NOT pay attention to your wallet;).

Gamble said:
-150watt rms... is that powerfull? bare in mind theres two of em, i want deep base as i listen to hip hop and rnb mostly.

150Wrms is powerful no. BUT what you do need to remember is this. If you want to make your volume just noticeably louder then you will need to increase your sound by 3dB. To do this you need to increase your power x2. So both subs will need to handle 300Wrms to be just noticeably louder. If you wanted to make it TWICE as loud. Then in theory you need to increase your power x10! each sub would need to be able to handle 1500Wrms....so on that note. You line up beside the same car with 200Wrms subs You won't notice a volume difference...150Wrms x2 Vs 200Wrms x2......50Wrms per sub difference.....no difference. Understand? Let me know if you don't and I will try to explain a little better

Gamble said:
-What kinda Amp is needed to run these subs?

I personally would recommend a Jaycar Response 2x150 amplifier. It's about $400 and it hits like a mofo!

Gamble said:
ok another question is.... i was thinkin bout mounting the tweeters in each corner of the roof, like on the four piller things.... understand? is that a good idea? or will it sound crap?

No, not a good idea. This will bring what we cross phasing where you have two speakers working WITH each other spread to far apart. It will sound like ARSE basically. Also, don't run splits in the rear. Completly uneccessary. Just use the typical old 2way splits for the rear.

Any other questions?

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
150WRMS will be plenty loud, especially with two of them. Certainly loud enough to deafen you.

You could run them each off a single channel from the 2x150 Jaycar amp, or you could buy a monoblock and run them wired together @2ohms.

G

Gamble

Ok thnx guys. that helps! but wat is jaycar? a brand? never heard of it!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Jaycar is like a techno geeks heaven.

www.jaycar.com.au

Check out there 2x150 like I said
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVi...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595
This amp will give you several wiring options. One sub per channel would be a good match for you subs. You would need to create a mono signal in your RCA leads, but thats no problem. It's priced at $249. Not the $400 I previously suggested.

And this is the monoblock Jeff T suggested
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVi...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595

I personally don't recommend the monoblock because at 2ohms it's developing 700Wrms. Far too much power for wwhat you will need. But if you decided to upgarde to massive speakers. You wil have the ability to do so. It's priced at $399

This is the previous model to the one I mentioned and has been reduced to $199. It's power when bridged is a little less then new model but in reality. It's not much difference and would still supply plenty. Stock is limited and may not be in your store.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/stores.asp
Find a store near you through this link. They also do internet orders.

G

Gamble

ok so tha amp from jaycar will give me the sufficiant power? and tahts all i need to get besides cables? i mean just for the subs, not speakers? and what is a mono block?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Yes, thats all you need to get.

A mono block has ONE output channel only and is designed purely for subs.

G

Gamble

do they provide better power and make any difference in the sound?

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
It'll be more efficient, provide more power and give you room to upgrade.

But I doubt you'll hear a difference.

There's nothing wrong with using an amp that CAN make more power than you need, as long as the gains are set correctly.