Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Yep, it's most certainly a data matrix code but I've got a headache so trying to manually decode it will do my head in.
And the android app I tried found seems to decode it as "upc_e format" with the encoded data being "11177173".

So i'll trust your decode :p

App deleted from my phone :cool:

I used ‘Code Scan’ (on an iPad, my old iPhone’s older OS doesn’t support it!).

Don’t ask how I found the full gm part number for the cam! It was purely a ‘guess the first four digits‘ exercise!

It’s definitely been an interesting and educational time following along with Paul’s fine work on his car! :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The matrix thingo is a ‘DataMatrix’ code. It reads ‘3206’ (or hexadecimal 33323036).

Hummm, the number 3206 is clearly visible at the top of the cam, in proper numerals, rather than the datamatrix code you're on about so much.

1714033818886.jpeg

I suspect that number refers to the date the cam was actually made

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah. nah the 3206 isn't clearly visible, or the suspicion it is the date code for the cam?

Have you actually read the datamatrix code, and have you looked up the gm part numbers? And if so, post them up.

I have checked both and posted my findings. If you want to believe that the ‘3206’ is a date code, then go for it. :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Have you actually read the datamatrix code, and have you looked up the gm part numbers? And if so, post them up.

I have checked both and posted my findings. If you want to believe that the ‘3206’ is a date code, then go for it. :)

I suspect it is a date code going by another cam query regarding crow cams....The G14 represents the year of manufacturer being 2014...

Also dealing with tyres, the date code of manufacture is done exactly the same. I surpose I need proof of this?

Another reason I suspect it being a date code, is for quality control purposes....We all know, if there is an issue with things, there are varying markings on products to help identify batches for recall purposes...Manufacture dates are one of the things

Oh and I also mentioned that 3206 was clearly visible rather than a datamatrix code you referred to

1714035111410.png

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
I suspect it is a date code going by another cam query regarding crow cams....The G14 represents the year of manufacturer being 2014...

Also dealing with tyres, the date code of manufacture is done exactly the same. I surpose I need proof of this?

Another reason I suspect it being a date code, is for quality control purposes....We all know, if there is an issue with things, there are varying markings on products to help identify batches for recall purposes...Manufacture dates are one of the things

Oh and I also mentioned that 3206 was clearly visible rather than a datamatrix code you referred to

View attachment 267249

You are barking up the wrong tree. It’s not a Crow Cam, and it’s not a tyre.

If you read to codes in the cam, you can see ‘3206‘ quite clearly. And if you scan the matrix code with a DataMatrix code (use an app or do it manually) it’ll give you 33323936 in hexadecimal. Look up a standard ASCII table and that translates to (you guessed it) ‘3206‘.

Step back a little bit and consider what computer readable code is important when GM assembles an engine. Are they more concerned about the date on which a component was made, or its part number (i.e. is it the right part)? I’d bet (but can’t be absolutely sure, but I’m pretty confident) that the matrix-code is more likely related to the part number than the date on which that part was made.

I’ve posted all my ‘proof’ and reasoning. If you believe that I’m mistaken, then I’ll leave it to you to show how the other numbers are part number if you want to take the ‘3206‘ as the date code.

Do me a favour and do some legwork yourself before being flippantly critical.

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Yeah bloke was right. Wish I got a vid of his engine. Rebuilt with blah blah this, blah blah that. Big Harrop supercharger on it and he aid with next tune it'll be PUTTING out almost 900RWHP. Sounded lovely for the lil squirt he gave it.

Anyway
Is that a QR code that you can scan ?
Yep just comes up with the 3206 code

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You are barking up the wrong tree. It’s not a Crow Cam, and it’s not a tyre.

If you read to codes in the cam, you can see ‘3206‘ quite clearly. And if you scan the matrix code with a DataMatrix code (use an app or do it manually) it’ll give you 33323936 in hexadecimal. Look up a standard ASCII table and that translates to (you guessed it) ‘3206‘.

Step back a little bit and consider what computer readable code is important when GM assembles an engine. Are they more concerned about the date on which a component was made, or its part number (i.e. is it the right part)? I’d bet (but can’t be absolutely sure, but I’m pretty confident) that the matrix-code is more likely related to the part number than the date on which that part was made.

I’ve posted all my ‘proof’ and reasoning. If you believe that I’m mistaken, then I’ll leave it to you to show how the other numbers are part number if you want to take the ‘3206‘ as the date code.

Do me a favour and do some legwork yourself before being flippantly critical.

Not being critical....I mearly mentioned about the 3206 code being clearly visible and how I came to a conclusion I did based purely on the 3206 number.

Give a damn if it's not a crow cam nor if it is a tyre....I'm using those principals as to why I came to that conclusion...That simple....But of course because I used those principals, they don't ring true to you.

I have no doubt the datamatrix code has something to do with part identification...Never queried it....But having the 3206 seperate has to twig something upstairs why it would be seperate to begin with...But I surpose logic doesn't come into the discussion, so I'll leave it there