Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My humble 2007 VE Berlina

BADTR1P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
So after my last car decided to crap itself I needed another car urgently. This was the safest option I could find in my area and I picked it up a few days ago. Going to keep it standard and as clean as possible and keep it well serviced. This thread will be for me to hopefully ask questions relating to issues I come across and hopefully have responses, and as an archive for the future so I can look back at it.

2007 VE Berlina
3.6L
Factory LPG
200,***kms
Silver
Auto 4 speed
Everything stock
Some rubber guards on the doors (I removed one side already)

Modifcations done:
Polished headlights
Air freshener
Gave it a wash

Plans:
Tinted windows
New tyres

Despite only being a V6 this is still the most powerful car I've owned (previous one was 2.3l) and is my first Holden. It's also the newest car I've owned despite being from 2007.

Seems a bit of a boring car after seeing the other threads in here but anyhoo here you go!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 112
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 116

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
So after my last car decided to crap itself I needed another car urgently. This was the safest option I could find in my area and I picked it up a few days ago. Going to keep it standard and as clean as possible and keep it well serviced. This thread will be for me to hopefully ask questions relating to issues I come across and hopefully have responses, and as an archive for the future so I can look back at it.

2007 VE Berlina
3.6L
Factory LPG
200,***kms
Silver
Auto 4 speed
Everything stock

Modifcations done:
Polished headlights
Air freshener
Gave it a wash

Plans:
Tinted windows
New tyres

Despite only being a V6 this is still the most powerful car I've owned (previous one was 2.3l) and is my first Holden. It's also the newest car I've owned despite being from 2007.

Seems a bit of a boring car after seeing the other threads in here but anyhoo here you go!
Nice car man!

Hopefully brings you a lot of joy and a hassle free life!

Where abouts are you located?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Welcome to Holden ownership :p

As with any used car purchase, it worth looking at the service book (hope you have it) and checking service history to see whether stuff was done as required by the book (or better if done more frequently).

Then check the actual engine & trans fluid colour and smell is consistent with said history, else replace the fluids if they at all look inconsistent with kms since last service or they simply seems
past their use by date. Same for diff oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid and engine coolant

Then you may want to check whether the LPG filters have been serviced (often missed) and how much time you have before your LPG tank needs to be re-certified.

The above is just a sanity check to ensure what should have been done has been done but you’d also want to have a good look over things now it in your hands. Even stuff like checking the PCV system and listening for any abnormal sounds on start up on a cold morning can give you an idea as to engine condition around cam chains (which I don’t think is a problem on LPG cars cause they run cleaner)…

In any case, it’s a nice looking car and hope you enjoy it and have a trouble free time with it :cool:

BADTR1P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Welcome to Holden ownership :p

As with any used car purchase, it worth looking at the service book (hope you have it) and checking service history to see whether stuff was done as required by the book (or better if done more frequently).

Then check the actual engine & trans fluid colour and smell is consistent with said history, else replace the fluids if they at all look inconsistent with kms since last service or they simply seems
past their use by date. Same for diff oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid and engine coolant

Then you may want to check whether the LPG filters have been serviced (often missed) and how much time you have before your LPG tank needs to be re-certified.

The above is just a sanity check to ensure what should have been done has been done but you’d also want to have a good look over things now it in your hands. Even stuff like checking the PCV system and listening for any abnormal sounds on start up on a cold morning can give you an idea as to engine condition around cam chains (which I don’t think is a problem on LPG cars cause they run cleaner)…

In any case, it’s a nice looking car and hope you enjoy it and have a trouble free time with it :cool:
Thank you. Unfortunately although it has the service book the pages are completely empty. Under ideal circumstances I'd pass and find another car but for my budget and location I was very limited in choice. I've checked the fluids and they all seem normal but will get a service done soon in case. Is it risky to get the trans filter and fluid changed or it's okay as long as I don't flush it? Engine feels incredibly smooth, trans shifts into second a bit abruptly on cold starts but is normal when engine is at operating temp. There's some sort of suspension thump and sometimes a clank over big bumps but I'm not overly worried, will get a suspension check done soon too. Going to do the pcv mod and install a catch can at some point too. How do I know when the lpg was last certified?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Unfortunately although it has the service book the pages are completely empty.
If it’s been dealer serviced, Holden should have records which dealer did the services, when they did them and how many kms the odometer had at the time. Maybe Holden Customer (couldn’t) Care may provide some insight and then contact the dealer(s) for copies of the service receipts (which list much more info like owner complaints and concerns)…
I've checked the fluids and they all seem normal but will get a service done soon in case. Is it risky to get the trans filter and fluid changed or it's okay as long as I don't flush it? Engine feels incredibly smooth, trans shifts into second a bit abruptly on cold starts but is normal when engine is at operating temp.
According to Holden the trans is serviced at 150,000 km under normal conditions or 75,000kms under harsh driving conditions (=city stop start driving). I’d service it more frequently than 75,000kms, maybe at every 50k or 60k kms…

I believe there are three types of transmission services.
  1. suck out pan fluid and top up.
  2. suck out pan fluid and then drop the pan to change the filter before refitting the pan and filling to the correct level.
  3. use a transmission fluid flush machine to replace all transmission fluid.
(1) & (2) aren’t great trans services as they don't change all the fluid since there is a large amount still left within the torque converter. (3) does replace all the trans fluid but doesn’t change the trans filter unless the pan is dropped which isn’t always done.

Ideally you’d want (3) with a pan drop and filter change :cool:

But your question seems to imply that a fluid flush is a bad thing. I’ve even had a dealer mechanic (not Holden) tell me a fluid flush is a bad thing in a sealed for life transmission as all the loose friction material floating about within the old fluid help the bands grab and flushing them out will result in the bands slipping but such is simply bullshite on many levels…

Such can’t be further from the truth as the reality is that a full fluid flush and filter change means the transmission will last lounger and is only bad from a dealers perspective because they therefore can’t sell as many new cars when the old transmissions die from lack of service…

Do yourself a favour and service your transmission more frequently than suggested, I.e. every 50k to 60k kms.. And it can be done at home if you have some basic knowledge. The following video is one way of doing it.

There's some sort of suspension thump and sometimes a clank over big bumps but I'm not overly worried, will get a suspension check done soon too.
Front strut tops are a known weak point and often need to be replaced at 100,000 kms. Sway bar links are another weak point as are the sway bar bushes themselves.

These aren’t big cost items and sway links & bushes can be easily done at home :cool:

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

2007 VE Berlina
3.6L
Factory LPG
200,***kms
Silver
Auto 4 speed
Everything stock

Modifcations done:
Polished headlights
Air freshener
Gave it a wash

Plans:
Tinted windows
New tyres

Congratulations on your purchase?

Keep it tip top best you can, and it will keep going.
As for questions, fire away, there is an abundance of knowledgeable members here that would help with answers.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

2007 VE Berlina
3.6L
Factory LPG
200,***kms
Silver
Auto 4 speed
Everything stock

Modifcations done:
Polished headlights
Air freshener
Gave it a wash

Plans:
Tinted windows
New tyres

If it’s no bother,
What colour code is it please ?,
It will indicate this on the compliance plate on the Left Tower under the bonnet,

It looks to me to be 348N. (Nickel)

BADTR1P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
If it’s no bother,
What colour code is it please ?,
It will indicate this on the compliance plate on the Left Tower under the bonnet,

It looks to me to be 348N. (Nickel)
Yep that's the one.