Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new Altezza headlights and LED driving lights

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You could still use them in the day.
What about those huge trucks that are covered in LEDs.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Or the new HSV models that have them on consistently?

Try ringing Regency and getting a straight answer from them. Some police will try to tell you it's illegal when it's not, or alternatively, let you off with a defectable item.

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I've got a definite answer to the legality of them. The kind policeman that pulled me over 30 mins ago informed me that they are in fact illegal, they're too 'dazzling', stupid SA road law.
Turns out even my LED parkers are illegal!! They're 'super bright', and they're too 'dazzling'. Loving the use of quotes here.

Denno

Interesting quote, Mr SAPOL obviously hasn't driven past an Audi, or E2 HSV recently; I would check with your local roads authority, I would also look up the writen requirements for forward facing vehicle lights as no doubt the road authority will put it in the too hard basket and call it illegal whether it is or isn't.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
You could still use them in the day.
What about those huge trucks that are covered in LEDs.

This is exactly what I said to my gf on the way to my house after picking her up (I was on my way to her house when I got pulled over). I wasn't going to start being smart with the cop though, he was pretty cool about it, was even a little impressed, but I just said yeah I'll turn em off, and he let me on my way.

Didn't even have them for a week yet! lol

I think the only problem with my lights compared to the Audi or HSV is that with mine you can see individual lights, but with the other cars, they look more like a line. But really, I'm not going to cause crashes by people turning their head to check it out.

SA need to fix up their laws really, we're not even allowed to drive with fog lights on during the day, stupidest law ever.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
SA need to fix up their laws really, we're not even allowed to drive with fog lights on during the day, stupidest law ever.

How is this law stupid? Your lights do look good though and its something differant :beer chug:

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
The law states that having fog lights on during the day, (therefore increasing your visibility to other drivers) is too dazzling, and could cause an accident or something. This is why we'd get a decent fine for having them on.. I'm not sure if it's just SA, but I don't like it. It was only brought in a couple of years ago..

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
Its been law here in WA for years. And its not a stupid law. Keep the peace and stop annoying the other drivers on the road. I know I get annoyed everytime I see someone drive past or behind me with their fog lamps on, high beam or with their superbright HID headlamps because seriously it is dazzling and you have no idea how hard it is to focus the road ahead when you're being blinded at the same time.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
yeah having high beams on does distract you, but that's because the way the high beam part of the headlight is design, light it directed in every direction. With fog lights, and properly fitted HID's, the light will only go forward, and in most cases will be below the back windshield of your car, especially fog lights, so they shouldn't be directed at your review mirror at all. Of course, as the person behind you with the lights goes over a bump, they will flash up for a second, but that's the same no matter what car you drive.

I don't want to get into an argument about it, it's just my opinion, I don't agree with the law.

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
I would rather the law than get into the semantics of why the law shouldn't be applied. It is very rare for people and mechanics to properly adjust headlamps to comply with the road rules. Even insurance approved repair centres don't adjust them either when replacing or fitting headlamps. Consequently I see a lot of cars on the road that drive past or behind me that tend to blind me from either direction. And it is a hazard, let alone annoying. So I would rather the law to keep everybody consistent and keep me safe on the roads too. If there were more people who know how to properly adjust headlamps like they do with mirrors, then there wouldnt be a need for the law.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Fair point ACEMonkey.

What do you think about the lights I put on the front of my car then? Do you think they're too dazzling? They're only bright enough for me to see 1 m head of my car when it's in the car port.. so they're definitely not going to blind anyone.
The only reason I can see them for being called too dazzling is basically for the meaning of the word, it would turn heads, and make people take their eyes off the road.. But then again, expensive cars will have the same affect when driving past people.
The lights on my car more accentuate the curves of the headlight, rather than be used as a source of vision..