Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] My tune results, a bit of handy info for you all.

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Hey guys im planing on doing a few more bits and pieces over time and documenting the power gains as i go.
To start off with i have a twin 2.5" exhaust from the cat back, we stuck it on the dyno and it made just over 200kw which we where pretty surprised from considering the amount of km it had done (260,000)

We then fitted a cheapo ebay otr kit (bolt on my ass had to bash the air con and radiator tops down to close the bonnet hahaha)
anyway after a bit of mucking around we managed to squeeze it all on and install the factory temp sensor into the kit as well.
After a quick recal to map sensor only and a quick run the power jumped up to around 217 which was a massive increase for such a cheap small mod (the kit was around $350 on ebay) im guessing the factory air box and filter is a huge restriction.

Anyway trent got tuning and worked his magic and ended up with a very nice increase to 225kw and 429nm of torque with stable afr around 12.5.
here are some pics.
trentstuning-1.jpg

ls1stage1and2-1.jpg

Im considering this the first stages of my little project and will do a few other things over the coming months and document the gains again and post back into this first post and do a bit more of a right up.
Next on the cards is some either 4>1 or tri y headers of some kind and ill modify the pipes from the cat, as i have read the stock cats work fine but its those standard restrictive pipes coming of it which is the main cause.
eventually this engine will get pretty tired but being an enigne builder its no drama for me to rip it out, freshin it up and so on but while its out ill stick in a few goodies, raise the comp, port the heads and change the cam and will then retune to see the difference its made.

ALL TUNING WAS DONE BY TRENT AT CHEQUERED TUNING/STATUS TUNING IN DANDENONG
Trent has been tuning cars for me for years literally hundreds of engines and cars i have built he has done the finishing touches on the tunes and always does a bang up job, his more well known for his japanese stuff but his slowly working into commodores and fords as well and seems to be doing pretty good so go check them out guys if your after a tune.

http://www.chequeredtuning.com/new/

Any questions feel free to ask, and any suggestions on future mods go for it.

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
Nice work. I am sure it is a different car to drive now! I couldnt believe the difference when I had mine done, and I had much the same work done (cat back, otr and mafless tune). Happy driving.

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
oh yeah of course feels like a different car.
I have only had the thing for a week or so and to be honest wasnt very happy with the power, i drive 250-350kw jap cars around most days so thinking im getting this massive thumping v8 3 times as big as the engines i normally work on would have some serious grunt and it was a major let down.
But yeah after seeing the potential from a few small bits the car is actually quite nice to cruise around in now but its still no where near a weapon in my eyes.
Its pretty good for towing my race cars though which was my main purpose and carting engines around.
As long as with a few more mods a freshin up some head work and camshaft if i cant hit 260-280 im gonna sell it hahahaha.

oh by the way i took video but for some reason my iphone didnt record the sound so its not very exciting watching a car on the dyno with no sound hahah.

cracker

Reaction score
looking good!
not too keen on the intake i was going to buy one...funny they dont mention bashing and bending on their ebay adds
ill imagine youll pick up abit with headers and new cats

HSV V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ CLUBSPORT
All sounds good and a good reference point too....

helicraze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Clubsport R8
I tend to agree the LS1 is a good motor but its not really mind blowing, i think something around 300-400RWKW is what you want.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I tend to agree the LS1 is a good motor but its not really mind blowing, i think something around 300-400RWKW is what you want.

What was the point of that statement? The OP has done some basic mods and netted some realistic results. You're 300-400rwkw is a VERY broad range of power, one being all bolt-ons plus heads and a decent cam, the other is all bolt-ons plus a very decent forced induction set-up. Also no stock engine is 'mind blowing' in its original form.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Not to mention the weight of the car its pulling around.
People get too caught up in numbers...

mooseboost

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport Series II 5.7 6 Speed
I brought this same otr and had to modify it to make it fit. Was fairly pissed considering it's meant to bolt on. The rubber they supply to go from the otr to throttle body is useless. It doesn't clamp and seal properly. I ended up cutting the end off otr and urethaned 4" stainless pipe into it and used 4" silicon hose as the joiner so it wouldn't fall off or suck in dirt and grime. I otr itself seems to work good for power. Other thing I wasn't happy with was they cut the air filter up around the edges to make it fit otr. This is a bit dodgy. I also had to swash the A/C condensor touch to fit it under the bonnet and it still rubbers on unfelt under bonnet.