Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Vl Turbo Conversion

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
i did it lol tho its real clean cut mannnnn i cant wait till tuesday to pick my vlt up

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
did i just see the AFM on the hot side of the cooler would work better measuring the cold air on the outlet of the cooler where its denser probably. i like it though

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
i have not had any running issues while its been there
idles fine and throttle is responsive...
that basically where the provision was for it to go in the piping i got off ebay from a fella who had it there.(still needed to modify it heaps as i have a bigger cooler than the one that came with it.)
i could when i bored move it to the cold side of the piping to see if its any better.
i backed out a plug today to see overall condition on them(new when turbo went on) and they are a bit sooty/matt black around the base of the plug and a lightish color on the earth hook.
matched it up to my spark plug diagnosis chart close as i could and saying "Can be caused by many different conditions. Carbon deposits build up when the plug fails to fire correctly and burn them off. Air/fuel mixture too rich, choke stuck on, electrical problem, extended periods of low speed driving, plug heat range too cold. All should be investigated" sourced from here Spark Plug Diagnosis 2nd one down(fouling) but not that bad that sook all over plug(base of thread on the ridge)

wasnt the nice light tanned color as i should be expecting.
was thinking maybe its the AFM measuring warmer air and then when i get to TB through cooler it would be more dense meaning a leaner mix not Rich(rich causing soot)
your thoughts??

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
probably rich due to the air being expanded while its hot then its shrinking .as well as the length of pipe between the afm and the intake probably dont help will be a bit of turbulance there too

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
86 VLCT/02 VY SV8
wouldn't think length between afm and the butterfly would make a difference as it sits even further away in the stock position but i could be wrong. get it on a dyno and check the mixture.
also having the afm on the hot side i couldnt see it making a difference either as the same thing again where it is in the stock position.

just my 2c