Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my vn 5.0 litre is hunting at idle

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
when i leave it idling for more then about 10seconds it starts hunting, sometimes its as much as 650-850rpm but it always varies.

It also stalls if i rev it and then just take my foot off the accelerator, and stalls when i put it into gear if i dont accelerate straight away (this happens mostly when its cold but sometimes when it is hot).

Has anybody got any ideas whats wrong with it?

The car also vibrates a bit when going over 3000rpm is this normal? its not exessive but im not sure if its normal or not.

R

rattattack1313

What fuel you using??? BP has a bit of Ethanol in it....my Green-Eyed-Monster hates the stuff......rattles and farts on it , at idle........

jdd

Reaction score
Vacuum leak or IAC valve needs cleaning, or both.

T

thorpey

when you say the car vibrates do you mean from the front, rear or middle? is it moving or still?

With the hunting idle its hard to tell without seeing the car, theres about 5 things i can think of that it could be. how long since its been tuned?

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
it hasn't been tuned since it was rebuilt (40,000kms ago) and its vibrating from the front when ur accelerating.

and my last tank wasn't bp

i might try cleaning the iac valve, is it hard to get to?

T

thorpey

it hasnt been tuned for 40,000km's!! have you changed the oil?
seriously, when you treat an engine like that it has the right to vibrate.

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
its been serviced but not tuned?
what is involved in a tune?

Last edited:

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
ok, i fixed the idling problem by replacing the harmonic balancer (which had grooves in it) but now its stalling when in gear worse then ever. When I first put it into gear if i dont put about 1100rpm on it just stalls and when I come to a full stop and idle in gear for more then about 5seconds it stalls.

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.2ltr car
hehe idle hunting hey.

with eFI all things are related to each other. it is imperative to set up the throttle stop, and IAC valve correctly. Also as for the idle huntiing/surging, often this can be cauesed by a faulty earth connection on the shared TPS/coolant temp sensor earth point. with a faulty earth the sensors are all over hte place, the car computer thinks its on part load, gives it a squirt of fuel and corrects itself.

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
well i fixed it. the trottle bodie looked like the inside of a exhaust pipe.. so i cleaned it out and its good now, but it still hunts a little bit at idle