Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VY SS, I Finally Got One

te_rarawa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS & VF SSV Redline
how did the ultimate compound work for ya? i found that it didnt work very well for me. maybe coz i applied by hand, mite have to try with an orbital buffer

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
how did the ultimate compound work for ya? i found that it didnt work very well for me. maybe coz i applied by hand, mite have to try with an orbital buffer

The Ultimate Compound did work, and I applied it by hand. I'm a complete novice to this sort of thing so I didn't want to risk it with a buffer (can still do lots of damage even by hand from what I've seen). But I was at for hours, just doing the bonnet, slowly and carefully. And it has worked to a degree, swirls are much smaller, almost gone. And a few patches of my bonnet looked like they'd been scoured, and were looking hazed. The compound took away the haze and made the scratches shallower and smoother; harder to see. Though for me it was the subsequent applications of the Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Liquid Wax that were really good.

uploadfromtaptalk1388966956467.jpg

My phone camera struggles to capture it, but you can see the difference in person. I've used the ultimate compound on the whole bonnet, but the right half of the bonnet had two applications of polish followed by two applications of wax. Like I said its less pronounced in the photo but the colour is definitely deeper and warmer. If you look closely at the center of the bonnet you can see how the light changes from one side to the other.

I did try to get comparison shots of the compounding but my camera doesn't show the paint perfections anyway so I simply couldn't. But yes, the compound definitely has shown results, maybe not astounding, but noticeable. But if you're a rookie like me and you think the compound didn't work, try it again by hand first, small sections at a time overlapping circular passed is what I did and it did work. Personally if I couldn't get it to work by hand I wouldn't trust myself to apply it with a power tool as it could be a great way to @#$% up your paint real quick haha.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
very nice mate,looking good compared to when you first picked her up

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cleaned up the headlights with some cut and polish about a month ago. Came up good but started to get a bit cloudy again so I've done them again with a couple of coats of wax to see if that does anything to protect them. They're not perfect but still a major improvement over the previous photos.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393054716.891730.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393054729.173948.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393054739.206192.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Looking heaps better!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Matt02SS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS + VY exec + Vs wagon
Looks nice mate.. Love this colour on the VYs. The VY headlights are a bit of a pain the way they fade, i ended up getting new ones and haven't had a drama since.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks nice mate.. Love this colour on the VYs. The VY headlights are a bit of a pain the way they fade, i ended up getting new ones and haven't had a drama since.

Cheers mate. Yeah I'll probably buy new ones eventually but for now it's cheaper to clean them once a month haha.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also decided to try out the polish on some of the black plastics. Comes up quite nicely. Forget to get a before shot of the strip between the bonnet and windscreen but trust me it looked awful. Had stained blotches from who knows what, rubbed it down with the polish and now it's a nice uniform finish. Do have before and after of the front lip though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393061319.386831.jpg

Front lip before:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393061352.939512.jpg

Front lip after:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393061363.006854.jpg