Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Not sure why you wouldn't just hold out 2 months? There is a heap of stock out there and you could have had a MY17 for the same price or a cheaper MY16 "demo", with 0KM's. I find it unusual, like someone buying a new iPhone 6S just when they know an iPhone 7 is around the corner.

There isn't going to be a "price hike on next years car", unless you are going a SE. Holden will still have every model at the normal price. Don't worry MY17 buyers, dealers will still negotiate "heavy discounts" as normal, but you will have the last batch of car.

Yes Im sure holden will still have the normal My17 models at normal prices, but I disagree with you as they aren't going to be as willing to negotiate "heavy discounts".

I just got a $63000 RRP Redline with plenty of extras for $54990, I really don't see that happening in 2 months time and Im glad I got it whilst I could. Maybe come June or July if theres stock.

samr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still Looking
I've driven a Mustang in the States and cannot agree less. The Mustang, although coolish looking on the outside, is full of cheap looking plastics on the inside. Handles well on corners, but just doesn't have the clean drive of a VF.

I think you are thinking of the MY14 and prior models, which I agree had a real plastic inside, steering wheel in particular. You are also comparing a stock standard discount run of mill vs the one we get here which is the top of the line with Brembo brakes, 306kW of power, Android Auto (and thus google maps). It is a stunning car, worth a look. It's major down fall to me is it has only 4 seats.

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Not sure why you wouldn't just hold out 2 months? There is a heap of stock out there and you could have had a MY17 for the same price or a cheaper MY16 "demo", with 0KM's. I find it unusual, like someone buying a new iPhone 6S just when they know an iPhone 7 is around the corner.

There isn't going to be a "price hike on next years car", unless you are going a SE. Holden will still have every model at the normal price. Don't worry MY17 buyers, dealers will still negotiate "heavy discounts" as normal, but you will have the last batch of car.

I don't share your optimism, and history is with me I'm afraid. Perhaps not a big price hike, but not discounts either.

Whenever a new model is coming, the old one is cheaper and the new one isn't. Basic supply and demand. If buyers are getting the SSVR auto with blackout and 20" wheels for 56k in Jan, good luck to them. I will console myself with the fact I've enjoyed the car for a few months before hand.

I would never buy the new iPhone either. ;)

bLackjackj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
If I was in the market, I'd be interested in the Mustang, if you don't generally carry passengers, and don't need to tow with it, the Mustangs a better looker than the VF, just the ticket for a weekender.

You can carry passengers - if they are children, and forget about carrying suitcases. They can be carried only in the back seat with the hood down.

Just completely impractical.

Fen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute W310
My partner has a 2016 Mustang, and as I have an SSV Ute perhaps I can contribute a bit of fact on the differences...

The Mustang is way more 'special' to drive than the VF. It has different kit (no HUD, front parking sensors or (utterly useless in the VF implementation where the wheel doesn't vibrate) lane keep, but it has heated and cooled seats, driver modes, slightly better reverse camera).

Ours has the pre-CarPlay stereo unfortunately, and that SyncII system is just as bad as the MyLink. I have driven a demo of the SyncIII with CarPlay, but we were trying out the Ford Racing 2+ performance kit so I didn't focus on the audio to see how different it is. CarPlay is awesome though (had it in an aftermarket HU in my previous vehicle).

That FR kit brings another point - my VF SSV sounds good with the Walkie exhaust, but the Mustang with the FR2+ kit made it put it's tail between its legs and cower on the driveway.

Of course a Mustang would have the passenger or boot space of a Commodore sedan, but it's not nearly as unusable as is posted above, and you'd need an angle grinder to put the roof down on a proper Mustang as only fastbacks come in manual.

Anyway, real reason for my post is that I can't believe how little you guys know about the 2017 VF from Holden. I have been talking with my local dealer here in NZ about a final year car to replace my Ute. They hooked me up with a test drive in a VFII SSVR sedan and a GTS so I could decide if I want to go the extra on an LSA Maloo (I don't), and when I drove the GTS 2 weeks ago they showed me an email they received from Holden with the official spec. A week,later they gave me the official price.

So...

The SSV is dropped and the new colours are as you all know. I only care about the Redline, and only really paid attention to the Ute, but it gets the blackout kit, some acronym was darkened, which they said was the headlight unit, the Ute gets a black sport bar and I think the sedan maybe gets a black lip spoiler.

From memory that was it - I recall thinking that, apart from darkened lights it's got a sportbar in black that I already have (and hate as it's in the way), so my custom powder coated one just lost its rarity, and aside saving me the cost of the blackout kit it's nothing at all. Utterly disappointing in fact and I've lost enthusiasm to order one at the moment at least.

NZ Redline Ute is increasing NZ$500 or so in price, so they aren't even saving me the cost of the blackout kit any more.

As far as I know that's official, they showed me it on screen in the dealership and they didn't say it was embargoed, though I'm surprised I found that out two weeks ago in NZ and it still isn't posted here. I actually logged in looking for a photo of the new headlights that I was sure would be here.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Fen,
That's interesting that you were given that information. It's pretty typical in Australia for Holden not to give two shits about the enthusiast market, general mums and dads will just go in and buy the Korean shitboxes that they are going to flog off at inflated prices.
The USA also get a lot more information from GM than we are givenin Aus.
I pick up my Redline next week and whilst I am really looking forward to it, my brand loyalty to Holden has now been killed.
When my three year lease is up, I will be looking elsewhere for a replacement.
My feeling is that Holden are deliberately not giving the enthusiast market any information as they do bitch and moan about it. Holden only want to churn out crap in the future, so don't actually want us as customers anymore, we are too hard to deal with.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I have been talking with my local dealer here in NZ about a final year car to replace my Ute and they showed me an email they received from Holden with the official spec. A week,later they gave me the official price. So...
As far as I know that's official, they showed me it on screen in the dealership and they didn't say it was embargoed, though I'm surprised I found that out two weeks ago in NZ and it still isn't posted here.

This doesn't surprise me at all.
A few years ago I used to work as a research supplier for Holden AU and Holden NZ. Years before the VF was public we pitched for the VF car clinic (using a clay model) but didn't win unfortunately. Anyway working closely with Holden AU and spending a lot of time at Holden HQ they were always tight lipped about the VF. Then one day out of the blue the NZ Holden team sent me some new marketing material which featured the first real images of the VF I had ever seen (it was all Calais V at the start). They didn't seem fussed to be sharing it and didn't even tell me to keep it secret. This was months before anything was public in Australia. I never told the Australian Holden guys what I had and they remained tight lipped until the end. They even invited me to the official Holden staff unveiling, where Mike Devereux showed the VF Calais V to staff before it was shown to the media.

In short, I had a very close relationship with Holden, despite this they were always very tight with information. The NZ team, as well as being hilarious fun to work with, seemed happy to share information way in advance of the Australian guys.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Thanks for the comparison Fen, it's great to hear from someone with real daily drive experience.
I've had the ultimate pleasure of giving my mate's Shelby gt350r a thrash when I went back to North America in August. What a BEAST of a ride. Too much car for a daily in my opinion but my God it's a track weapon.
In comparison to my GTS it rips it apart on the track but for daily duties the HSV is miles ahead. Horses for courses... too bad we don't get the magic 5.2l Voodoo engine here.

My partner has a 2016 Mustang, and as I have an SSV Ute perhaps I can contribute a bit of fact on the differences...

The Mustang is way more 'special' to drive than the VF. It has different kit (no HUD, front parking sensors or (utterly useless in the VF implementation where the wheel doesn't vibrate) lane keep, but it has heated and cooled seats, driver modes, slightly better reverse camera).

Ours has the pre-CarPlay stereo unfortunately, and that SyncII system is just as bad as the MyLink. I have driven a demo of the SyncIII with CarPlay, but we were trying out the Ford Racing 2+ performance kit so I didn't focus on the audio to see how different it is. CarPlay is awesome though (had it in an aftermarket HU in my previous vehicle).

That FR kit brings another point - my VF SSV sounds good with the Walkie exhaust, but the Mustang with the FR2+ kit made it put it's tail between its legs and cower on the driveway.

Of course a Mustang would have the passenger or boot space of a Commodore sedan, but it's not nearly as unusable as is posted above, and you'd need an angle grinder to put the roof down on a proper Mustang as only fastbacks come in manual.

Anyway, real reason for my post is that I can't believe how little you guys know about the 2017 VF from Holden. I have been talking with my local dealer here in NZ about a final year car to replace my Ute. They hooked me up with a test drive in a VFII SSVR sedan and a GTS so I could decide if I want to go the extra on an LSA Maloo (I don't), and when I drove the GTS 2 weeks ago they showed me an email they received from Holden with the official spec. A week,later they gave me the official price.

So...

The SSV is dropped and the new colours are as you all know. I only care about the Redline, and only really paid attention to the Ute, but it gets the blackout kit, some acronym was darkened, which they said was the headlight unit, the Ute gets a black sport bar and I think the sedan maybe gets a black lip spoiler.

From memory that was it - I recall thinking that, apart from darkened lights it's got a sportbar in black that I already have (and hate as it's in the way), so my custom powder coated one just lost its rarity, and aside saving me the cost of the blackout kit it's nothing at all. Utterly disappointing in fact and I've lost enthusiasm to order one at the moment at least.

NZ Redline Ute is increasing NZ$500 or so in price, so they aren't even saving me the cost of the blackout kit any more.

As far as I know that's official, they showed me it on screen in the dealership and they didn't say it was embargoed, though I'm surprised I found that out two weeks ago in NZ and it still isn't posted here. I actually logged in looking for a photo of the new headlights that I was sure would be here.

JonDom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Shopping right now
Hey guys,

Sorry I've been searching this thread but cannot find it, I just had a dealer tell me Slipstream blue is discontinued for 2017, do we have any confirmed colours for MY17 at this stage? For such a nice car, there's surprisingly little to be excited about when it comes to the the range of colours, for me it's either blue or black - yay so exciting -_-

Fen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute W310
As I recall the email I was shown said Jungle Green, Prussian Steel and (I think) Some Like It Hot were the discontinued colours, with Son of a Gun, and the new orange and green being added. Slipstream wasn't mentioned and they must have a blue, surely, so I believe it stays.

I'd love to drive a GT350, but I think the FR+ on the one we have might be enough (and might be happening next year). I believe it's a 400KW kit but the sound of StreetFighter headers back system makes it regardless of power. It was on a convertible so louder inside than the fastback will be, and I thought it was too much, but when my partner drove it she couldn't get the smile off her face. With the manual box it would be even better, and plenty quick enough I think.

The GTS I drove was a manual. I drove it about an hour before the FR+ Mustang and, well, I decided I wouldn't be buying a Maloo, let's put it that way.

I notice I had a typo in my last post. Of course I meant the Mustang is NOT as spacious as a Commodore sedan, but I stand by that it's not that bad.

I also forgot to comment on interior quality. I'd say it's on a par with the VF, being realistic. The Ford has some questionable fake stitching in the plastic on the centre console, but then the VF has that laughable printed carbon fibre effect on the console and dash inserts. Otherwise they both use lightly padded and stitched vinyl on the dash (the Mustang has a coarser grain to the look if fake leather). I quite like the aluminium dash trim as it lightens the cockpit with the blackmheadlining (which I'm a big fan of on any car).

We don't need back seats, so the Mustang is fine for us. Since the test drive I've all but decided not to go with a new Redline, and in fact we just today bought a cheap snotbox as a second car to the 'Stang as a first step and I'm going to put the Ute up for sale in the next week or two. If I miss it I'll order a Redline, but I'm thinking I'll bring a 1959 El Camino in from the US instead, and then fit an LS3, modern brakes and transmission, air ride and use it as my mountain bike mover, with a Mustang to play with and the Toyota snotbox to abuse (as it deserves) for mundane jobs.