Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Hello Martin. Yep picked it up Monday and drove through to Gladstone on the first night then to home the next day. 1200 odd k's on it now. Very good service and they kept all the delivery paperwork and stickers as requested. Production line photos are to come apparently. I was quite surprised most traffic gave me plenty of room on the freeway. The colour is awesome and my first thoughts were "**** that looks good !". Very very happy with it and it certainly turns heads. Tried many variations of motor load speed etc on the way home. Kept it under 4000 revs ok, however impossible to keep it under 110 kmh. Well it is doing 125 or so at 2000 revs in top gear. Sorry officer. I was able to be steady with the brakes which are superb. View attachment 191368 View attachment 191369
The hz sandman ute build up has been temporarily sidelined but I've nearly aquired all the gear. Just waiting on a front spolier and gts mirrors but I'll get there.
I'm interested in what fuel eg 91, 95 or 98 other members are running in their ls3's and whether or not they intend to replace the engine oil at the first inspection ? If the oil is changed is something heavier advised or just stick with whatever holden uses ?
Hi RedBadge, your car looks fantastic and I love the track stripes, makes it stand out more and personally I don't know why more people option them. Glad your happy with the colour, you were a little concerned at the start, and the blackout, it does make the VF2 more up to date with current designs and offers a better contrast on the light colours. In relation to your questions re fuel octane ratings and oils, ProfMopar pretty much nails it. Apart from higher octane ratings, 95 and 98 (more so) have more detergents in them that tend to keep fuel system/injectors cleaner and reduce carbon build up. Change the oil at 1000-1500kms on a brand new engine but do not use synthetics, just use whatever Holden recommends. Great choice on colour and options mate, I'm envious, still got a couple of months wait in front of me:(

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
Just had a thought maybe most of the SS's are going to police fleets this year and not so many to the public. Some might be stocking up while they sort out what they're going to get in the future.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Change the oil at 1000-1500kms on a brand new engine but do not use synthetics, just use whatever Holden recommends.

Hi Martin. I was under the impression that all Holden specified Dexos2 oils were fully synthetic. I'm sure I read somewhere that the factory fill oil is synthetic. I could be wrong though.
Is there a particular oil I should be using for the first change?
I am going to stick with this oil for all future services
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/Portal/product_images/web/EPLUSGF5006.png

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
Tow ball plug is the flat one, comes as a complete plug in wiring harness that deactivated the reversing sensors when something is plugged into it.
I see they installed your plug to the right of the towbar like my VE had but this time they installed it to the left? which is a sh1t because my trailer lead has decoupled at least once when reversing because it's on the RHS

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
Here are some pics of the ride, she's a little dusty today, probably not the ideal day for it. Best quality I could get for now.

Nice! Never really considered SOAG because Spitfire was released as well, but yours in the full sun really does look quite special (apart from dust :) )
Looks like you went the same popular options as me and many others here on the forum (Wing, HF20's) as well as the towbar - I see your plug is also on the LHS - must be something to do with the connector being in the battery compartment?

Trofius

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline sportwagon
I see they installed your plug to the right of the towbar like my VE had but this time they installed it to the left? which is a sh1t because my trailer lead has decoupled at least once when reversing because it's on the RHS
Yes my plug is on the right of the tow bar...was the same on my VE wagon, it should be easy enough to relocate if you want, will just leave a few screw holes under the bumper

RedBadge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VF SSV Redline LMF
Oh, the oil? Run the factory-recommended stuff or equivalent. Do not run higher viscosity oils as the modern engine's bearing clearances, oil pump clearances, and seals are all designed around the newer low viscosity oils. Oil change frequency is largely dictated by usage: if you do track days, or otherwise hit the redline often under WOT, change it more frequently. Similarly, if you do a lot of short trips, drive on dusty roads, or idle a lot at the Maccas drive thru. The owner's service manual is a good guide here.
Thanks for the advice ProfMopar.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Nice! Never really considered SOAG because Spitfire was released as well, but yours in the full sun really does look quite special (apart from dust :) )
Looks like you went the same popular options as me and many others here on the forum (Wing, HF20's) as well as the towbar - I see your plug is also on the LHS - must be something to do with the connector being in the battery compartment?
Left means it is done at factory, if it appears on the other side, good chance it was done at the dealer.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
Left means it is done at factory, if it appears on the other side, good chance it was done at the dealer.
Thanks for the advice Super Coach. my 2 previous cars had dealer fitted towbars and the plug was always on the RHS. I know I have seen some to & fro here about factory fitted tow bars but, unless that happens for SA cars, I was under the impression that the only things done at the factory were black roof, wing, and staggered HF20's (also because the dealer stands to make a buck out of the fitting - just like Lock Nuts at $190 that can be had on eBay for $100 inc caps). I am sure my dealer said they were going to fit the tow bar in the days after the car arrived (maybe the wiring part was done at the factory?) but I'll never know because I didn't get to see it arrive. In any case I guess i'd rather play with the wiring on the old trailer than move the connector on the car!

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Thanks for the advice Super Coach. my 2 previous cars had dealer fitted towbars and the plug was always on the RHS. I know I have seen some to & fro here about factory fitted tow bars but, unless that happens for SA cars, I was under the impression that the only things done at the factory were black roof, wing, and staggered HF20's (also because the dealer stands to make a buck out of the fitting - just like Lock Nuts at $190 that can be had on eBay for $100 inc caps). I am sure my dealer said they were going to fit the tow bar in the days after the car arrived (maybe the wiring part was done at the factory?) but I'll never know because I didn't get to see it arrive. In any case I guess i'd rather play with the wiring on the old trailer than move the connector on the car!
towbar can be done at Holden Enhancement Centre, normally when other options are added like the decals then the whole lot is doen at HEC. Sometimes a dealer can be sneaky and say they couldnt do it to make extra $$$ but the fact is, if you put in your contract factory fit it must be done at factory, if its not then that leaves a door open for the dealer.

I have opted for my MSE to have a factory fit towbar because it also has to go to HEC to get the decals done. My last redline had decals applied so it went to HEC as well.

The options you mentioned like black roof, wing and HF20 are all done on the production line. It is only decals, towbars, lock nuts, ute hard lids that are done offline.