Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mystery Suspension Problem - Please Help!!!

Sami

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Lexcen Wagon
Hi guys,

My VR's got some serious front-end suspension problems and we can't figure out what's causing it all.

Struts, towers, shocks and springs are all in a really bad state but I'm not going to replace it all because the car's being traded soon so it's not worth it.

Basically I need to know what exactly needs to be done to just make it drive straight. The 'symptoms' are:

- For ages the steering wheel had to be turned almost 45 degrees to the left in order to drive straight
- Then yesterday the wheel was sort of all of a sudden tilted to the right (but not as bad) but pulled really hard to the right and took a bit of effort to keep straight.
- And in general there are all sorts of thuds and clunks and groans from the front end when turning full lock.

So has anyone experienced this or know what the problem might be? It's been looked at by a few suspension people who each tell me its something different. As I said, I am aware the whole front-end suspension set up could do with a freshen up, but I'm hoping to narrow it down to replacing one or two things just to get it driving straight.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas!!!!

Sami

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
sounds like its farked mate. Could be the bushes worn out causing play in the radius rods and control arms, stuffing up your alignment. Don't think worn shocks would do that.
Could also be the rack is wearing out ? See what you can find at the wreckers if ya don't want to spend too much.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I can tell you that it's the shocks and strut tops that cause the clunking noise. Common for old worn front shocks. As for the rest, I actually suspect the rack has jumped a cog once or twice but I really don't know..

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Have you tried giving it a wheel alignment?

Have a look at the tie rod end (I think its called). Can be found at the end of the steering rack control arm. See if there is any play at all. Its a ball joint type.

Another one is the radius rod bushes at the end of the Z bar which bolts on the k-frame. (Front of it)

Just to point out a few things.....

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
rotate your tyres it sounds like rubber to me
haha yea ok
Doesn't sound like it to me. Tell me how my tyres are going to change the steering by that much, literally overnight. That doesn't make any sense. (No they aren't flat.)
It's my car, the thing has changed from 45deg left steer to go straight to slightly right to go straight.. don't feel like blowing 50 on a wheel alignment either if it'll just go stupid again within the week.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
haha yea ok
Doesn't sound like it to me. Tell me how my tyres are going to change the steering by that much, literally overnight. That doesn't make any sense. (No they aren't flat.)
It's my car, the thing has changed from 45deg left steer to go straight to slightly right to go straight.. don't feel like blowing 50 on a wheel alignment either if it'll just go stupid again within the week.

Well if you are not going try what other have suggested then whats the point of asking here?

You said you are not going to do the wheel alignment then you never know if thats the cause of your problem.

When it comes to solving problems, you need to eliminate things one at a time.

I'm not trying to have a go at you.. just pointing it out.

You might as well just leave as you are going to trade it in. Someone else will fix it.

Last edited:

howepower

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
WWW.HOWEPOWER.COM
Members Ride
vc commodore sl
Well if you are not going try what other have suggested then whats the point of asking here?

You said you are not going to do the wheel alignment then you never know if that going to be the cause of your problem.

You might as well just leave as you are going to trade it in. Someone else will fix it.

i agree

anyway its whats called radial pull when the carcus of a tyre seperates it looks right but its not and geuss what rotating your tyres
cost geuss what umm $0

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride

You said you are not going to do the wheel alignment then you never know if thats the cause of your problem.

I haven't wheel aligned it, because I have SEEN the wheels change angle to each other. One day the right wheel pointed 10deg or so too far to the right. The next day it's completely different.

The wheels have been pointing in physically different directions, and their directions have changed for NO REASON.

Also I am not trading the car in, I'm trading it for a mate's car. If this front end is a simple fix then I will look after it.

its whats called radial pull when the carcus of a tyre seperates it looks right but its not and geuss what rotating your tyres
cost geuss what umm $0
Next time I have access to the car and my tools at the same time I will swap the tyres around and see if it makes a difference. For now, for being a smartarse you can **** off out of this thread. IF rotating the tyres makes a difference I will eat my words.

Sam