Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Navman,garman,tom Tom

WHAT SORT OF NAV SYATEM ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
Ok,as you have prolly gathered i'm lookin at buying a nav system to put in the car,i have been told by different people to buy this and not that,and as far as buyin the other dont go there.
So what i want to konw is who has got what in their car and why

DVOLVO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE / 5 Litre Volvo /Trusty Swift
OTHER::: UBD and the Interior light

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I bought mine 15 months or so ago now (Navman F20), not a huge amount has changed from what I can see.

Basically at the time I didn't want to spend a fortune and at the end of the day I just wanted it to be clear and precise rather than have all the extra stuff like camera, voice directions, bluetooth, make phone calls or whatever other stuff was on offer at the time.

It has not failed me once and has spent a great of deal in the car as well as other cars for various interstate trips.

Downsides after all this time, it is a little on the slow side to startup and get a fix on the current location but no huge biggie, you know the general way to go so it will catch up in a few minutes, worst case scenario you have to do a u-turn.

Other than the above it would be nice to have a bigger screen but having said that I rarely use the screen once programmed and only really listen to the voice commands when prompted.

Out of the big brands Navman was about the cheapest and to this day I'm glad I purchased it.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Darren

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Navman S50,missus has taken it so i dont know how it is.

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
used all 3 brands, then straight away purchased a tomtom, kills the others in my opinion.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
I have a navman ICN510 unit. It is about 4 years old now. The only problem that I have had with it was some of the maps didn't have some roads near my place on it. (not Navman's fault though as they use Whereis maps). The 2007 Whereis maps have fixed all the roads in my area, but the 2007 maps won't work on the older unit, so I have my Navman ICN510 packed in a box ready to send back tommorow for a trade in to a later model with the latest maps, for the cost of the maps only.

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
HP PDA and Bluetooth GPS receiver running Tom Tom Navigator is mine, better than the dedicated Navman GPS unit I had and very easy to update points of interest and the like when needed

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
TomTom FTW!!!

I have a TomTom One XL that I got for free (I had a few excess frequent flyer points). I would never have paid money for one but it's handy as a national street directory replacement. Certainly handy for when I go interstate. Don't really need it around Canberra.

Some advice:
Never leave it, or any signs of it, visible in your car. Remove the satnav unit, the mount(s) and any cables etc.
Wipe off any residual ring marks left on the windscreen from any mounts.
DO NOT mount it smack bang in the centre of the windscreen like I've seen so many knobs do.
DO NOT put your home address anywhere in the unit. Most have a "Home" shortcut. Set that as something different. Mine is set to the local Police Station. Having your name and number in it are OK though - for anyone honest enough to want to return it to you should you lose it.

That is all.

:D

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Melways FTW!

But when I do get one, it will be Navman. Ability to skip suburb and search state wide for a street is awesome.