Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advice with VT blown Motor

Fairdinkemgsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz 3.6 v6 wagon
Does it sound like this?
That's my VX when I blew it up. There was also a pretty attractive fountain jetting out of the radiator.
OMG Yes, I had the same thing with the water spraying out of the radiator, which was a milky colour.
I have attached a pic of the colour of the oil now. Water is the same.

Attachments

• 20230616_113228.jpg
    20230616_113228.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 55

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
OMG Yes, I had the same thing with the water spraying out of the radiator, which was a milky colour.
My coolant looked like that long before the final act, so I knew there was something very wrong, but this car had been so bloody good to me over the years that I tried not to think about it and kept pushing her. The way I see it, at this point in time you have nothing to lose by opening it up and seeing exactly what's wrong before splashing out $500 on an engine. Could just be $100 worth of gaskets that it needs.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

The LIM gasket quite often lets go creating this milky concoction in the radiator and sump....

It is also commonly misdiagnoised as a stuffed head/gasket.

Advise....Get a mechanic that knows his stuff to diagnosie it before throwing millions of dollars at it trying to fix it if you don't know yourself.

Finally do a forum search on LIM gasket....You will find a heap of info on here about the misdiagnosis with people thinking it is a head/gasket but turns out to be a LIM gasket

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Does it sound like this?
That's my VX when I blew it up. There was also a pretty attractive fountain jetting out of the radiator.
That didn't sound like my vt, when the motor went. It sounded like there was a rattle coming from the exhaust manifold, drivers side of the engine.

When we got it back to Melb. found the engine was seized.

It was locked up at the Ford dealer ship at Coonabaraban for nearly 3 weeks. While waiting to ship it back to Melb.

The dealership wanted $3K tjust supply & fit a motor. No guarantees on it, & could take more than a week by the time sourced one, & had it fitted.
Coonabarabran is nearly 1K km from Melbourne, it's not like it was 200km from home. Motel room was $115.00 per night. Don't no about pub or caravan rates. This could have cost me easily $4 or 5K.

The mock up cars' engine (vt exe. wagon, same as my car)sounded a bit like yours.
Could never get that to run again. Had to eventually replace the engine with a running engine to finish mocking up my 6L50 transmission.

Last edited:

Fairdinkemgsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz 3.6 v6 wagon
Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it. I'll get another mechanic to look into this before I spend unnecessary money.