Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need coolant ratio help asap!

Faultym

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore Acclaim
flushing radiator for a fresh, he bought 1L of Tectaloy Xtra Cool Gold coolant, i am unable to find any mixing rations on the bottle apart from 1L makes 15L. will this bottle be enough to fill his vx commodore cooling system? any help appreciated!

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
what it means is 1L with 14L of water is the correct ratio (either side a bit wont matter)
the coolant capacity of the car is in the manual but about 12L from memory then a few L in the overflow and your set

normally only take about 8 if you just drain and fill

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
1 liter of coolant? Must be veerrry good. Most decent coolants are 1liter coolant to 2 liters water. A lot of people on these forums use 1 to 1 or stronger.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
just depends how watered down there concentrate is
lets say it cost $40 for 5L or the same for 1L would you not think you were getting better value for money?
and the 5L only does 10L where the 1L does 15L (for there recommended mixes)

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Tip it all in and fill with water, not that hard lol You do realise plenty of people run straight water. No real science to it.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
People who run straight water will have plenty of problems with the cooling system after a while.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
I'd put about 800ml into the radiator and fill with demineralised water (cheapest to buy from woolies or Coles)
Use some of the remainder mixed 14 parts water to one part additive to top up the radiator overflow bottle.
Make sure you bleed the system correctly.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've been running straight water in the VP since the hot weather hit (2 months) experimenting, it's great, car runs really steady (aside the last few days, stupid ECU). I will pop in coolant though, just don't want to waste $50.

Ratio depends on climate, water is the best coolant, but you need something to stop corrosion and prevent freeze if you live somewhere like Canberra and frequent the snow in winter. I usually just go 50/50.

Also the need for demineralised water depends on location IMO. I've been using Canberra tap water since 06, it's great stuff, never a problem, my system is spotless.

I'd be wary of a generic coolant ratio with no advice on bottle. Unusual to be honest, Tectaloy usually state what the ratio equals celsius wise.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Im wrong

Bye

Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 commodore
I have tectaloy in my system it said 50/50 for hot weather conditions it's not gold brand though ! A tip for every one if you have the cash you can buy water less coolant it lasts a lifetime no topping up required as it does not evaporate and you can open the radiator cap at full engine temp as it creates no pressure on the system what so ever no boiling makes all components last longer especially the radiator non corrosive and no pressure . You buy the flush to remove all glycol from system drain and fill with the solution the flush is re useable up to ten times if you have a catch tray ,