Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Fuel Reg? Maybe Trans Kit?

NKX

Reaction score
Hi all, I need some help in finding a way to smooth over my cars performance a little. Unfortunately a LOT has happened to my car outside of my control and now I have no idea what bits at fault. Basically after a mechanics botched attempt at a manual T5 conversion - I ended up with an auto again... but its definately NOT the same one and now I am confused as to the problem.

My car, mechanically, now is pretty much stock with a 80k old rebuilt engine, custom bored 62.1mm TB, stainless pipe and SplitFire pod.... while the throttle response seems better, and the power delivery is smooth, the damn gearbox doesn't kick down, and often I find myself power through gears without a kick-down ie: 4th gear doing 60kmh... foot flat equals either:

a) smooth , but slow accelleration to 100kmh without kick-down,
OR
b) Kick-down, pause, builds about 2500rpm more on the tacho, engine makes lots of revving noise, and I slowly accellerate.

These two things confuse me... one appears to be an electrical issue that I could program out on a Kalmaker ECU, but th other seems more mechanical... almost slipping?

To resolve these issues I'd like to know what you all think. My idea is to supplement my intake mod with a slightly more efficient rising rate fuel regulator to hopefully supply more fuel with all that extra air I am giving it. I have a feeling that my lax performance is because of an almighty flat-spot. 15% more air than standard and 98 Octane without a modded ECU seems to be making the VR struggle.

Alternatively - as the gearbox was "replaced" at the same time... it could be that its buggered. I was considering just taking a look at the torque convertor and seeing about a lockup solenoid... but I have no idea if that will make a difference. I have heard though that some new springs and valves are available as part of a 4L60-E shift kit that will make the box handle better... but I can't find anything more. Would appreciate any suggestions or contacts on this one.

As a side note, I plan on getting a 3.45:1 LSD diff made up for my car... anyone had experience with this mod? are there other things I should look at doing first?

I will appreciate any info.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
this might not be of much help, but considering no one else has replyed anything is better than nothing.

My mate owns a old holden ute, HQ maybe? He has the exact same problem, i know the two gear boxes are nothing alike but the pricipal might be the same. We fixed the problem by having the "kick down" button repaired. Basically when the throttle is applied a certian amount a sensor should send a signal to the gearbox to change down, when you had the manual conversion attempted that would have been taken out (obvisouly no kick down switch is needed for a manual). My bet would be check for error codes in the ECU, been pleanty of posts recently (crossing the 5th and 6th pins and reading the flashs etc)

i could be on the wrong track so dont bet money on this, just one possible solution