Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help to figure out a price for a '78 HX Kingswood?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
As a car you could obviously get a better car for not much money. Any modern car is a better car than a Kingswood. If you are like me and happen to like Kingswoods, you might be more willing to pay more.

As an enthusiasts car, its maybe worth a little more, but not much. Its a 202 SL with 3 on the tree, the most common and base model, it simply has nothing to make it special. All you could do is use it as a base to make a mockup of a better model.. fortunately this is just so easy with Kingswoods that it becomes an acceptable proposition.

And its got 400K on the clock, which by now is meaningless anyway because it will be like grandfathers old axe.. everything has been replaced countless times but it still has the same chassis number lol.

If I wanted to do a GTS mockup or something, it might be worth looking at for a couple grand as a reasonably sound base... depending on a thorough look at the rust.

If it was a Premier then it would certainly be worth a bit more, twin headlight noses might be hard to find these days? , and at least you would have a few basic creature comforts thrown in.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
So what from what I'm gathering it's probably a $2500-$3000 car so I'm going to through it up on eBay with a slightly lower reserve and hope we can get him some cash.
Thanks for the help guys.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
See the unique cars value guide. Old holden values are on the march; depends on condition...

V6Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
HQ ute with v6 commodore motor, gbox and diff
id say 800-1k unreg fairly easily, i saved one from the scrappies for 150 bucks, youve just gotta find the right bloke or in my case be in the right place, rust wise mine us only a tiny bit worse off, 202 3 on the tree, im going to put a ls1/2 in it

smokem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss 5.7
dont take anything under 3000 for it my friend steel bars are fetching good coin now ! try buying a clean torana , stato or kingswood !!

ya dont see many clean for cheap !! cheap ones are faded beyond repair or crazy cracks all over the whole paintjob wich means bare metal sprayjob.
i seen a crap uc torana wich had been ripped apart and paint was ####ed go for 2000 a few weeks back so dont sell for bugger all! personaly i think ya should keep ya got a good thing there!
ive seen these go for between 3500 and 4000 before and theyre only gonna keep going up in price

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
There is a V8 HX one tonner in good condition just down the road for 4K. A fair condition 202 column shift sedan is worth no more than 2500 unless you get lucky and the right person come along. Its a 30+ year old car, and one of the most common of any cars ever sold in Australia. Its not a Torana either. It has no classic value, nothing to make it stand out. Maybe in another 30 years... at the moment its an aging :( holden, not an old :) holden.