Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Help - Vibration in FPS wheel

elshonno

Reaction score
I need some help as I am stuck on what to do?

Ill start from the beginning

I got all the brakes done with resurface of the rotors + 2 new tyres on the front.

The next day when driving I felt grinding coming from the wheel but only when I was braking and braking at a slow speed, this felt like metal was grinding so I took it back to the mechanics and they could not find anything wrong, the mechanic came for a drive and because the grinding i s random it didnt happen when he drove it. He pulled of the wheel had a loko and said it all looked good.

The next day after I was driving on the freeway and I could feel a vibration in the wheel and the floor of the car. This vibration feels like there is a lump or uncircualr tyre on the car. Its not the wheel balance because the steering is not vibrating from side to side its more like I have something stuck on the wheel like a bolt etc.

Checked the tyre and it looked good, just to be sure I went back to Bob Janes they didnt even take the tyre off came back in 3 mins and said it was the link tin bush's.

Took it back to the mechanic who had a look and said they r fine a little worn but ok, he is till stummped on what it is but said bring it on monday, the only prob is I have to go away and drive up the coast on monday so I am a little worried about what is causing this?

Anyone heard of this problem before? I suspect its the tyre.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
A quick check is to change the front tyres for the rear - use 2 jacks and have an assistant. This will prove/disprove your theory. Good Luck

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Mate of mine had a problem with a michelin tyre recently. Tyre had a lump in it from delamination. He said it felt like there was a bump in the road at each revolution of the tyre. Check the tyres again for lumps, the new tyres and the old ones.
I'm confused by your posts tho, is it only when braking, or all the time, or random.?

elshonno

Reaction score
yeah ive never been good at explaining things like this -

The vibration happens at speeds in excess of 60kmh, i cant really feel it any slower than that. But definatley feels like a bump in the tyre, the faster I go the faster the vibration occurs.

Guess Ill go to bo janes get them to rotate the tyres if it happens on the tyre I suspect ,then make them replace it (xenon 225/50/r16) i was trying to save money on these tyres as they were the cheaper option.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Starting to sound more like a rack end or tirerod end a bit worn and not a tyre problem. It would be very rare for even an el-cheapo tyre nowdays to delaminate when new and you'd imagine that would be one of the first things Bob Janes would check. Would also be felt at lower speeds....or thats the experience I've had.

elshonno

Reaction score
today i swapped the wheels front to rear and checked the pressure, the problem has seem to be gone, I can feel a little vibration but not enough to be concerned, hopefully this will get me up the coast without doing my head in. I bet the problem comes back