Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEED HELP VT COMMODORE

Commygotissues

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore 3.8
I bought a vt commodore yesterday and so far I have replaced coils, leads, plugs, done a service and valve cover gasket was leaking so did that too.
The reason why I changed what i did is cause the car has a problem or multiple. When accelerating a slight rumble/ deep sounding grind is present (not a loud grind either) than there is a mild vibration at my feet and when i say mild it is quite mild.. but it also has no power at all whilst accelerating heavily and is somewhat responsive under moderate acceleration.. during acceleration and highway speeds of 90 kph the car has a slight jerking feel to it as if it wants to give out and call it quits. Any clue as to what it could be? I have thought it may have something to do with fuel, i know the rear main seal is leaking moderately and looks like passenger engine mount will be due soon is it looks worn out.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hard to say what the problem is but it might just be something simple like a blocked fuel filter. The vibration might be a broken or sagging engine mount.

Commygotissues

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore 3.8
Just took it for another drive the problem is consistent and slightly worse when the car is cold if that means anything. It happens with low revs moderate accel/heavy accel. Also in high revs will lack power too inbetween 2-3k rpm it is like a normal vt commodore .. vibration remains constant under increased acceleration also sometimes will hold a gear if revved too 3.5k and over. Checked oils and fluids and all is fine.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Why did you buy this car?
Did you check air filter and replace the fuel filter?
What about the diff, does it have gear oil in it?
Could be anything really.

Commygotissues

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore 3.8
Driving the car in a careful manner as you do when the seller is in the vehicle couldnt tell there was an issue with the car and my previous vehicle was close to coming to its end, i havent changed fuel filter but i dare say that will be my next thing to do as its a cheap option and a good idea to eliminate that, air filter has some build up but nowhere near enough to cause any problems, its almost new.. diff has oil in it checked it today, another reason i bought the car was log book shown a good service history since being made all the way up to 200k on the clock.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Tried the centre bearing? Mine was causing a lot of grief under acceleration

Commygotissues

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore 3.8
I thought it might be center bearing but the grinding is only under acceleration and its mild too from what i have heard cant be heard from outside the car, only in the car. But i will inspect it for safe measure

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Your description reminds me of how I "felt" my 1979 UC Sunbird ( WHAT IT HAD PERFECT DUCO ) under acceleration after I put a 202, box and diff in it. It was gear box related and I'd still like to punch the wreckers lights out for taking advantage of a 16 year old P plater and never fixing the problems.

Enough of me So, I hope it is not your tranny.

Commygotissues

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore 3.8
If its tranny, someone else can do it .. had enough of playing around with gearboxes will put up a result when the problem is fixed.