Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hey, I was driving along the highway, and I felt it start missing and playing up. So I pulled in to the servo and now it's running like a dog. It doesn't idle and stalls after about 5 seconds. It threw the code 21 throttle position sensor bit sound ls to me like A crank angle. If anyone knows any little tricks to get it going or have any ideas, give us a call on 0488011202! It's fairly urgent. But raa is on the way lol

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
ur maf or bad fuel maybe?

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
ok doing some search for you i found this bit of info maybe this can help

code 21 throttle position sensor:
This may be due to a fault with the sensor, or a fault in the wiring to the sensor or to the ECU

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
tps will cause issues like you described, essentially the computer isn't sure if the throttle is open or closed or where it is, so it's guessing how much fuel to throw in from a dodgy sensor reading and will run like crap. if the tps sends a dodgy reading saying the throttle is open when it's closed it'll add more fuel, flood and stall.

Last edited:

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
The code is saying the TPS, then you should check and replace it... A bit odd thinking the CAS is at fault when it is telling you it is the TPS....
I find it strange even when it is telling where the fault is you ignore it.

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Yeah it's a bit hard to replace when I was just pulled over on the side of the road, and I just meant it sounds like the crank angle when it went on my VR, I don't see how the TPS would do it but anyway. Raa came, towing me home, the bloke reckons its the fuel pump, cos at the end it wasn't even starting and the pump wasnt making any noise :/ oh well, more money :/ anyone recommend a good fuel pump?

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Well I swapped the throttle position sensor over with an old VR one, reset the codes, and it still does the same thing, and the code has come back.. Still thinking maybe something wrong in the fuel line.. Or something to do with the TPS obviously

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Well I swapped the throttle position sensor over with an old VR one, reset the codes, and it still does the same thing, and the code has come back.. Still thinking maybe something wrong in the fuel line.. Or something to do with the TPS obviously

When mine broke down I thought it was the pump because I could not hear it, but the traffic was making it hard to hear it lol.
When I got it home I re-checked the pump to find it was working. in my case though it did not have idle problems and was running smooth, it would smply just cut out which turned out to be the CAS.

I find a faulty fuel pump a bit odd to trigger a TPS fault though. You could maybe give the bottom of the tank a thump with a rubber mallet to see if it will jolt the pump into working again as a tempory measure.