Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need info on towing issues/problems with lowering!

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
hello everyone!

So basically i want to get my car lowered eventually (no rush). But I will be towing a jetskii and possibly trailer.

Has anyone got experience with lowering and towing? or give me some advice on how to deal with a good middle point to work with!

Looking at getting SL's front and back for a nice look! not looking to slam it to the absolute ground

Thanks in advance

c&cberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina,Vs Exec(track car). RA Rodeo 4wd.
Put air bags in the back so when you tow just pump them up, stops the car from dragging its arse when towing!

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
i agree, on the adventra i have level ride shocks, others on here suggest in-coil air bag set-up, although I'm not sure if it can be connected to a level ride pump.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Also if you have not yet got a tow bar fitted, I would recommend getting a hitch style as you can get different height receiver / tongues so the trailer doesn't look gay by being nose down. You can also take the receiver out when you'e not towing which makes the car look much tidier in the arse end.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
As above. Plus it's only light weight so it won't put too much stress on the rear springs. Lower ones are stiffer don't forget.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I used to tow a horse float/15ft boat on sl/ssl. Never had an issue, have some pics of how it sat when I get home for you.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
I used to tow a horse float/15ft boat on sl/ssl. Never had an issue, have some pics of how it sat when I get home for you.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

Looks fine, but how does the ride feel on the back?

Also i recognise that location in the pics ^_^

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Towed fine both loaded and unloaded. Did a few trips to and from lakes entrance and never found the ride harsh or bottomed out.

You'd have to be pretty local to recognise the location, it's the inlaws place.

I will say though, that i did get rid of my Commodore because the hassle of trying to get the car up dirt boat ramps was a nightmare so went to 4WD's. Which means that i can drop the boat in anywhere i want, boatramp or not. Miss the power of the SS at times though.

I did have Airbags in that car at one stage aswell though never really used them for towing great distances. They took out the need to use the height function on the jockey wheel, reverse the ball up to the receiver on the trailer and put air in bags, instantly on the ball,

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
Towed fine both loaded and unloaded. Did a few trips to and from lakes entrance and never found the ride harsh or bottomed out.

You'd have to be pretty local to recognise the location, it's the inlaws place.

I will say though, that i did get rid of my Commodore because the hassle of trying to get the car up dirt boat ramps was a nightmare so went to 4WD's. Which means that i can drop the boat in anywhere i want, boatramp or not. Miss the power of the SS at times though.

I did have Airbags in that car at one stage aswell though never really used them for towing great distances. They took out the need to use the height function on the jockey wheel, reverse the ball up to the receiver on the trailer and put air in bags, instantly on the ball,

Yeah I am down the streets on the opposite side of the main road.

So was it fine on the normal boats ramps (concrete ones)?

Im not really looking at getting airbags, they seem like a big investment. Did the towbar come on your car? or did you get it installed? and if so where did you get it from?