Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some advice on a V6 VX

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Hi Guys
Need some advice on a stock V6 VX for a mate, he wants to fit a cold air intake and was wondering is there any ecu up grades available on the market. Your advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
there are tune packages for the vx v6 however your looking at $600+. And the gains are not that great on a naturally aspirated 6. That money may be better spent on diff gears imo.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
there are tune packages for the vx v6 however your looking at $600+. And the gains are not that great on a naturally aspirated 6. That money may be better spent on diff gears imo.

I don't think he wants to change diff gears, its all about getting the most out of a stock motor and whats out there these days for a V-6

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
oh ok then. I take it your make wants to get off the line quicker. as pretty much everyone does. A tune is not a good idea if the motor is standard. (a cold air intake isn;t much of a mod as they come with a decent on anyways). His best bet will be: a **** kit, high ratio rockers, and diff gears. Then a tune may be more of an advantage.

If he has the car tuned with just the cold air intake. Then when he mods the car again (eg exhaust, rockers) then he will need to tune the car again.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh ok then. I take it your make wants to get off the line quicker. as pretty much everyone does. A tune is not a good idea if the motor is standard. (a cold air intake isn;t much of a mod as they come with a decent on anyways). His best bet will be: a **** kit, high ratio rockers, and diff gears. Then a tune may be more of an advantage.

If he has the car tuned with just the cold air intake. Then when he mods the car again (eg exhaust, rockers) then he will need to tune the car again.

So if he did the exhaust, cold air intake and a tune what sort of gains would you get on a V6

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
So if he did the exhaust, cold air intake and a tune what sort of gains would you get on a V6

There would be a slight improvement over standard, but, with minimal mods it comes down to who gets the better jump off the line.

I know i've said it before but diff gears are a very simple way to get moving quicker off the line.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
There would be a slight improvement over standard, but, with minimal mods it comes down to who gets the better jump off the line.

I know i've said it before but diff gears are a very simple way to get moving quicker off the line.

Thanks for the advise mate :thumbsup: I will see if that's the way he wants to go cheers

holden boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
yeah but diff gears also cut that top speed thing down and thats were the real fun is :)

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
yeah but diff gears also cut that top speed thing down and thats were the real fun is :)

Real fun? im sure he can live with his car only going 180km/h instead of 200+.