Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some answers

Keegan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs commodore v6 3.8
Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can give me some answers here. My 96 vs v6 started driving hot a while back so I have cleaned up the cooling system. New inlet gasket, new water pump, new radiator, new coolant sensor and a few other items changed over as well. Where I am stuck is the fan will not click over. I've tested the fan motor and the fan runs, all fuses are fine and not blown. The air conditioning also runs fine without fan kicking in. Can anyone give me some ideas of where my next steps might be to get the fan running again.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Hey mate, Great Name (Mine also).

Did you change the thermostat? Should be done with everthing else you've done.

But, biggest thing sounds like the coolant temp sensor. This tells the ECU/PCM the temp of the engine and controls the fans also.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Keegan

Keegan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs commodore v6 3.8
Hey Keegan
Yer i changed the thermo and the coolant temp sensor. I accidentally posted this twice and in the other post other responses have been relay issues. I'll have to get my hands on a multimeter and check relay and connections to check if all is good with them.
Thanks for getting back to my post. I'll keep you updated as I go and hopefully the result of this will help others.
Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Does you low speed fan come on when you turn on the air conditioning (assuming you have a working unit)? The fans don't normally come on until the engine is quite hot - 104c for the low speed fan and 109c for the high speed fan. More details below:

ELECTRIC FAN CONTROL - Circuit Description:

The V6 engine has a two speed electric fan which provides the primary means of moving air through the engine radiator. The two speed electric cooling fan is used to cool engine coolant flowing through the radiator. It is also used to cool the refrigerant flowing through the A/C condenser.
The engine cooling fan high speed relay is controlled by the PCM. The PCM controls the earth path for the engine cooling fan high speed relay.
The low speed of the electric fan is controlled by the PCM through special Data Communication to the BCM. The BCM controls the earth path for the engine cooling fan low speed relay.

Both relays are used to control the high current flow to power the electric motor that drives the five bladed fan

Engine Cooling Fan Low Speed.

The engine cooling fan low speed relay is energised by the BCM. The PCM determines when to enable the engine cooling fan low speed based on inputs from the A/C request signal, vehicle speed and engine coolant temperature. The engine cooling low speed fan will be turned "ON" when:
A/C request indicated (YES) and
Vehicle speed less than 64 Km/h
or
Coolant temperature is greater than 104 degrees C and will remain on until coolant temperature goes down below 99 degrees C

Engine Cooling Fan High Speed

The engine cooling fan high speed is controlled by the PCM based on input from the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT). The PCM will only turn "ON" the engine cooling fan high speed if the engine cooling low speed fan has been "ON" for 2 seconds and the following conditions are satisfied.
There is a BCM message response fault which will cause a DTC 92.
An engine coolant temperature sensor failure is detected, such as DTC 14,15,16,17.
Coolant temperature greater than 109 degrees C.

If the fan low speed was "OFF" when the criteria was met to turn the fan high speed "ON", the fan high speed will come "ON" 5 seconds after the fan low speed is turned "ON". The engine speed engine cooling fan relay can also be enabled by the A/C pressure switch. The A/C pressure switch will provide an earth path when A/C pressure becomes to high approximately 1770 kPa.

Last edited:

Keegan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs commodore v6 3.8
Thank you for sending through all of that information. It is quite useful info. In the coming days I will take a closer look into this all and take all of that into consideration. Cheers for replying to my thread