Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need some body with english skills.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
If "steev" was a real word would it be pronounced Steve due to the double vowels.

Had a 51 comment argument with a guy aboutthis on Facebook today and just want to know if I'm right.
His argument is " when you double the vowel and put another consonant afterwards the consonant drowns the pronunciation out. Thus why i call you Steeve."
But I can't find any information backing this up nor can I or he think of any words to which this applies I know this is extremely petty but I just want to know the answer.

Can you help me?

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
get off the gear

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Double vowels cannot change how they sound. They are just used because we have no sounds/letters in the english language to use, hence the double vowel sounds.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Gees, old school English teaching from the 60's coming in here. and I'm not sure what the point the other person in your Facebook exchange is trying to make.

Regardless of whether there is a single or double vowel, the consonant remains the same sound, but the double vowel is pronounced in the longer form. Eg Sleeve versus step. When the longer form of the vowel is used, the word ends with an "e". eg Steve, sleeve. In the shorter form, no "e" at the end. eg step.

The simple fact is that the consonant remains as an active sound - in other words, it is pronounced as it would normally be.

I would have thought the OP was pronounced Steve too.

Last edited:

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
Gees, old school English teaching from the 60's coming in here. and I'm not sure what the point the other person in your Facebook exchange is trying to make.

Regardless of whether there is a single or double vowel, the consonant remains the same sound, but the double vowel is pronounced in the longer form. Eg Sleeve versus step. When the longer form of the vowel is used, the word ends with an "e". eg Steve, sleeve. In the shorter form, no "e" at the end. eg step.

The simple fact is that the consonant remains as an active sound - in other words, it is pronounced as it would normally be.

I would have thought the OP was pronounced Steve too.

thanks for backing up my suspicions.

this is the latest instalment.

"steev: Give me 1 word as an example.
12 hours ago · Like

Jarrad: SteeV: you can have a few examples...
Tooth: Uses the 'oo' sounds such as your names 'ee'
unlike your name, the word doesnt drown out the double vowel because the syllable 'Th'. If it were just a 't' by itself we'd have Toot.
WAIT!! Toot.. much like your name. But we're emphasizing the t at the end.
Booth... the same
Steel.. the same (just pronounce the word)
Feel..
I can keep going?
4 hours ago · Like

Steev: you may be emphasizing it but it still has the double vowel sound and you say the consonant as a lower case letter not an upper case
its not ste-eL or fe-eL.
what about the word seek its not see-Kay its only a lower case k.
same with toot its not pronounced too-Tee.
and to top it all off go to ANY text to speech website or even your microsoft sam/anna and input the word there for correct pronunciation of steev.
6 minutes ago · Like

that was his argument more explained sorta ? im not going to bother posting again and i only posted here so if anybody else confused by what h meant may now be able to understand it.

thanks for the help =)

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Pretty sure someones name can be pronounced however they want it, as it's their name.

If I saw "Steev", I would say "Yo, Steve", unlike say, Japanese, where their letter "E" is extended, so it would be Stee-eve but with a slightly extended E sound. So the point I'm trying to get at here, is IMO, if your name was "Bhille" and you pronounce it as "Bill", then that's what it is, not Bahilley or anything.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I love a good internet debate. Agree with Calaber so no need to add anything other than this:

wrong.jpg

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This reminds me of the other day when i was trying to teach English sounds to an old Polish guy. That was about as sucessful as teaching my Mrs to do situps.