Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Never use engine cleaner

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
i tend to put about 300 to 400 ml of dextron 3 in with the old oil. run it for 5 minutes then dump it. trans fluid is an oil and a degreaser

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
So I guess it is safe to assume that the problems arose because of a dubious service history and not the engine flush.

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
i tend to pour a cup of sand in mine straight after an oil change after 2 klms of driving... it really cleans everything theres draw back i have to push my car but boy are those internals clean....and at 2klm oil changes it becomes expensive but my cars worth it lol

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i never put anything but clean oil in my engine all those cleaners and additives are crap they do more harm than good.

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
I have used engine flushing oil before.
But that said I took the sump out first, cleaned it, cleaned everything I could reach. Ran it though (followed instructions) then drained it and put some lovely royal purple in.

fyfee

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY II Calais
Put 1 litre of diesel fuel in and make up the rest with oil. I.E if the motor needs 6 litres of oil, put 5 litres of oil and 1 litre of diesel. Thrash it around for about 10 mins and then drain the oil/fuel and change the filter.

Obviously at this point put fresh oil in...unless of course you like a nice, seized motor...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
i never put anything but clean oil in my engine all those cleaners and additives are crap they do more harm than good.

The oil you use has cleaners and additives and crap already added.

The problem is from long service intervals and then made worse by the flush. The polymers in the oil break down and then it loses is cleansing and lubricating abilities at high temperature, this "cooks" the oil and causes the sludge. Flushing it caused the obvious problems.

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Another little trick you can do, and I know people will say never do it. But put diesel oil in it for 5000 km. Make sure the oil wont poison your cat first. The detergents in diesel oil clean the engine pretty good.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
So I guess it is safe to assume that the problems arose because of a dubious service history and not the engine flush.
Agreed. Neglected servicing is the number 1 killer of alloytecs. They sludge up extremely quickly when serviced irregularly unlike ecotecs