Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new clutch for sv6

charliebrown069

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
The time has come for a new clutch on the sv6 at 137,000 klms. Its gotten to the stage where even slow accelerating will make it slip.

Im after advice on which type to go with. Of course I want to go single mass flywheel but im unsure of exedy or extreme.
I can get an excedy flywheel, pressure plate and clutch fitted with a new slave cylinder for $2000. Or I can try and get the sleave cylinder fixed under warranty, buy an extreme kit for 1500 and get that fited while the box is out. Most place are asking approx $200 to fit the extreme kit.
My question is, excedy or extreme.

Sorry for the huge story
Cheers, steve

HannibalK1ng

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
im in exactly the same position.

but i think ill end up getting the xtreme. have read good things about them, havent heard anything bad about exeddy but havent really heard anything about them if you know what i mean.

1FATSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CLUBSPORT M6 6.0L
i got the xtreme clutch in my sv6, i got single mass flywheel, pressure plate, cushion button clutch plate with new slave cylinder for 2400.. it takes abit to get used to, and if u do a lot of traffic driving like start and stop i would get it.

HannibalK1ng

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah hoping to order it tomorrow.

and what do you mean its good for traffic?

1FATSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CLUBSPORT M6 6.0L
sorry mate, i WOULD'NT get it..

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
^^^Hey mate

A few questions for ya, How much was kit by itself? Do you get any gearbox noise/chatter at idle?

HannibalK1ng

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Haha that advice is a bit late just order my xtreme clutch now.

I used to drive my bros VN with a very heavy clutch and i could deal with it in traffic, so not sure how bad this is going to be. care to explain why its bad for traffic?

1FATSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CLUBSPORT M6 6.0L
^^^Hey mate

A few questions for ya, How much was kit by itself? Do you get any gearbox noise/chatter at idle?

the kit by it's self was 2100, and yeah at idle there is a bad noise/chatter and under load in third gear up a slight hill u get a gearbox chatter. i changed gearbox oil to a thicker type to help the chatter at idle but it doesnt help..and it pisses u off after awhile

HannibalK1ng
i thought when i first put the new clutch in that it was goin to be heavy as. but mine is lighter than the original and there is only about a 2 1/2 inch friction point about 3 inches off the floor, i thought there was something wrong with it and i bleed mine like 6-7 times thinking i was looseing pressure. but that's how it is..and i also put a high ratio diff in mine which made is easyer to get it off smoother..in traffic it just hard to get it to creep without slipping the clutch or bunny hopping.either its on or off there really no in between...hope this all makes sence..:spot on:

HannibalK1ng

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yes that makes sence.

well no going back for me reciveing it tomorrow and will get installed on friday.

ill report back then if i have the same problems. wish me luck

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
the kit by it's self was 2100, and yeah at idle there is a bad noise/chatter and under load in third gear up a slight hill u get a gearbox chatter. i changed gearbox oil to a thicker type to help the chatter at idle but it doesnt help..and it pisses u off after awhile

Sorry to say mate but ive seen it way cheaper than that.
If thats the case with the nosie im not going for a xtreme clutch kit.