Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New exhaust, need to retune?

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
My stroker has been tuned my Alan Gibbs with his kalmaker software, and I have just put a new better flowing exhaust on. Do I need him to re-tune it to get the best out of the new setup?

Cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Ideally yes, but it depends on what he did with the tune to start with, whether or not he allowed for future upgrades.

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
It's all about back-pressure, if you've upgraded from 2inch to 3 inch exhaust, then the TUNE, won't be effected.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's got **** all to do with back pressure. People and their obsession with back pressure.

If the tuner has tuned it to suit a better flowing exhaust, you won't get the full benefit of the tune until you put the better exhaust on. It's got more to do with AFR's and fuel delivery than back pressure.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It wont have changed the ratios much and I'm sure he added a bit of fuel for safety and future small changes anyway, So I'd say it will be fine

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
I went from a twin 2.5 going into a single 2.5, to a single 3. The car has problems with pinging anyway so I might upgrade the fuel pump while I'm at it and then get it tuned to see if it fixes the problem.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So you downgraded the exhaust then? A twin 2 1/2" will out flow a single 2 1/2" unless it had really restrictive mufflers.

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
Reading it; I think he went from a
Twin 2.5 into Single 2.5 exhaust system
to a 3 inch system
So that would be about a 40% improvement in potential flow; allowing same style of mufflers etc. Not sure why with a stroker 355ci you would even go a single 3inch. Still waay too restrictive. Even the stock LS1 exhaust is 2 x 2.25inch

QldKev

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I read it wrong....

A 3" will outflow the original, but I would recommend a twin 2 1/2" on a stroker.

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
Each to their own re: Backpressure. As greenfoam said, they would have added a bit to the fuel mixture to enable future mods, if it's pinging then it sounds like a timing issue, it sounds like it will need a re-curve of the ignition. One of my car runs a 3 inch and doesn't ping, the other has twin 2.5 inch and pings, if I swapped exhausts would make no difference, on mine it's the ignition curve, as I upgraded the cam, now the computer isn't following it, making it lean top end, rich bottom end. Best of luck.