Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new exhaust

vtsuperchargedboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT supercharged
took my car to the mechanics today and want 300 dollars to fix it, what a joke anyways im just gonna buy a new exhaust, i want a 3 inch mandrel bend i live in eastern subs of melb but willing to travel almost anywhere if anyone has any recomendations of where to go and the prices would be appreciated, i already have quotes from around box hill area thanks.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Does it have extractors? Pretty pointless putting on a big system unless you get decent flow out of the heads. I'd be more inclined to go twin 2 1/4" with straight through mufflers. Probably around the $500 mark and $600-$700 for extractors depending on the brand you go for. Pacemaker tuned are pretty good for the super 6.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
3" on a supercharged isn't too big. I've done a 3" twin on a blown VR V6. Took a twin 2 1/2" off and it picked up about 15kw on the dyno.

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
http://v6supercharged.com.au/exhaust.asp

This thing seems the way to go to me, I think they say in there somewhere that they put 3 inch single from the cats back. They say the best way to go is to put in slightly larger twins from the headers with better cats. This is apparently the most restrictive part of the stock exhaust.

With exhausts its a compromise between where you want the power to develop, and the exhaust note etc.

The other part to consider is the cats themselves, the high flow ones sound the best, with the metal interiors. If you do a search in this forum it has some excellent reads with a lot of detailed info.

The site above has a massive amount of info on the sc v6 as well.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
2.5" for a stock super6, it's a twin cat, twin muffler system as stock, get a y peice in after the cats and run a single 2.5" pipe from there.

Otherwise you could extend the twin system to dual outlet 2.25".... but I've not heard much about people doing this, exhaust place I've used most recommended the y-peice into single 2.5" option, always a good result.

3" is only recommended if you're pushing over 200 at the fly.

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
On a slightly modified super6 engine, twin 2.5's all the way through works well, but I would'nt go anywhere near a single 3 inch. Some guys I've talked to (all super 6 owners) sya the drone is pretty bad, even with the quiter ressie attached. Cheap alternative is to get yourself a hsv exhaust off ebay, around the $200-$250 mark, all stainless, most are 2.5, and the bolt up without any problems (as far as I know).

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
Yeah, I've looked at old HSV exhausts on ebay too! Thats a great idea, only thing is you may have to wait until one comes up near you as not many people want to post it.

The HSV guys may be into upgrading their exhausts cause they seem to come up a bit. Maybe even ring around the wreckers?

vtsuperchargedboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT supercharged
hehe guess i just showed my lack of knowledge about cars, the problem i found out after the post was its the convertor, so will changing the exhaust fix it? yeah i guess 3 inch is a bit big for a stock super 6 i don't want anything to loud just something with a nice sound, thanks for your help guys

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
If all you are after is a nice note, no/very little drone, and noise under WOT, then 2.5 twins is what your after.