Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New headers - air/ticking sound

calobes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Hey guys,

Got Tri y headers and high flow cats installed to an existing catback exhaust. Ever since they have been installed I've had an "air" sound coming from the engine.

Not exactly a whistle sound like air escaping, more like just whooshing air. Would this be just the system allowing more flow or something not good? Not exactly a sound that I like.

Also getting a ticking sound while accelerating almost like lifters when oil needs to be changed. While accelerating it's also missing/throttle cutting out momentarily especially if I put my foot down in a higher gear than needed, say if I was in 4th when I really should be in third.

I haven't had it tuned yet as I have a dus Otr that is getting installed and mafless tuned in a few days anyway.

This is my first V8 and I'm not really knowledgable with cars apart from the basics so any help is much appreciated. Just want some opinions before I take it back to the exhaust place and complain:p

Thanks

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That's ticking is almost certainly an exhaust leak. An exhaust leak will be detrimental to engine life and performance since the o2 sensors will be affected by the extra air being sucked in and the computer will tell the injectors to inject more fuel.

calobes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
That's ticking is almost certainly an exhaust leak. An exhaust leak will be detrimental to engine life and performance since the o2 sensors will be affected by the extra air being sucked in and the computer will tell the injectors to inject more fuel.

So Do you think there is maybe a leak in the gasket at the head? Would that explain the large amount of "air" sound I'm getting? Sorry I can't think of a better description.

calobes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
It will be going back then. Would that explain the engine missing under acceleration?