Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New LIM gaskets needed?

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Recently got hold of a VS 'S' in good nick. Owner had some receipts, a bit vague on other stuff. The car had sat around for a while at some stage of its life. So I am going to replace a few things. I noticed there was a bit of coolant on the lower intake manifold. See pics of each side. I am assuming the LIM gaskets need replacing? I was going to grab some mace ones. Read the how to on here really good and seems a straight forward job.

There seems to be no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.

I also had a bit of coolant coming out the cap so I have replaced that. I also replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses to see the impact on the rest of the system. Rad cap still letting coolant out.

Since I'm doing the above I'm going to replace the thermostat, water pump, and with the manifold of I will put on new injectors, plugs and leads, and clean the plenum.

If anyone thinks it could be another problem I would love to hear.

Cheers

lc01.JPGlc02.JPG

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
Yep, looks like it's you LIM gaskets, pretty straightforward job. I went with the AC Delco aluminium set supplied by MACE, and they've been great so far.

Also replace your PCV valve, and the 2 heater pipe o-rings while you're there.

As for the radiator cap, from experience, I found the Tridon brand not that great. They have a crappy seal and it starts to spray a bit of coolant from the cap. I went with the CPC brand and had no issues at all after that.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
KrisG, thanks for the advice. Now I want to have everything ready when I do the job on the weekend, do you know what size o-rings I need for the heater taps, and where do you get the pcv valve from?

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
No idea what sizes they were mate, sorry. I just had an assorted set of o-rings and picked one that fit snug around the pipes. There are only 2 O-rings and they're both a different size. I think Holden still sell them, but are quite pricey for just o-rings.

As for the PCV, any auto store like Repco should have them in stock, and they're cheap too.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Yep, LIM gaskets are shot.
The o-ring isn't a standard size, best bet is to get them from holden... yes they are pricey
You can use a close standard size with plenty of rubber grease to force it back in but if done incorrectly and cuts into the o-ring it will leak.