Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Redline Advice - Running In and Fuel RON

Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV Redline Auto Sedan
G'day
Getting my first ever Holden (2016 SSV Redline) this week. Very excited!!
As a newbie, can I ask:-
Is there any 'running in' requirement? Below certain RPM? Below certain kph?
The sales person says it will come with 91 RON cos 'it runs on that'. But I would've thought PULP 95RON would be better. I don't think performance will be an issue (!) but for longevity of the engine, what do you guys suggest? I know there is no point really worrying too much about fuel economy..........(understatement). Happy to fill with 95 or 98 to look after the motor but even happier to run 91 if performance is the only compromise in using 91.
Cheers

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Im not too sure it is supposed to have 91 octane, thought 95 was the minimum. Anyway ive got the W375 pack, with that tune ive got to use only 98 octane. Every new car ive ever had is always 98 octane, if you can afford it do it, its only a a bit more then 95 octane.. Enjoy the car to buy the way...

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Performance is so much better on 98. I personally don't understand why you'd buy a performance car and then run 91.. If you want to save $20 a week then buy an Evoke.

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
Inside the fuel lid it says "Premium recommend" however I'd say 70% of the time I refill using 91RON (never E10).
Performance is so much better on 98. I personally don't understand why you'd buy a performance car and then run 91.. If you want to save $20 a week then buy an Evoke.
Some of us have company fuel cards and are trying to stay under the radar of the accounts dept!

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
Congrats on the new car.
My Redline drinks 98. And I mean it *really* drinks 98. This is the first car I've had where you can see the fuel gauge move to empty as you look at it.
As for running in.... The manual says absolutely nothing about it.
Reading reviews for the run in procedure of modern engines, I found the favoured approach is actually to give it quite a hard time early in the piece, and then get the oil changed quickly, to get the metal shavings out of the engine. So that's what I did.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Just drive it without labouring or excessive rev. Mechanical sympathy for a while. An use the maximum RON.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Holden quote the 304Kw figure as obtained using 98, that said this a standard Holden, it will run on 91 and shouldn't be detrimental to engine longevity. I only have an AFM auto VE, I have been putting premium in it since I've had it (1.5 years), but really I doubt it makes that much difference, in my case 260Kw from a 6.0 litre isn't exactly a high output figure from 6.0 litres. Personally I would run your SS predominantly on at least 95, but then if you run 95, then 98 isn't too much more expensive. I also have a Subaru Forester 2.5 NA, I think with that car when running on highway speeds it is beneficial in fuel consumption to run 95, 98 may be just slightly better. For your own satisfaction with your VFII try a few tanks of different grades, it's not going to hurt the car and you can come to your own conclusions about dollar value of using 95 over 91 etc. Hopefully spending the extra dollars on higher grade fuel you'll get some pay back in terms of litres per 100Km. With running in, I think general consensus would be to try and vary the driving conditions and not to totally baby it, but don't flog it to death either.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Holden quote the 304Kw figure as obtained using 98, that said this a standard Holden, it will run on 91 and shouldn't be detrimental to engine longevity. I only have an AFM auto VE, I have been putting premium in it since I've had it (1.5 years), but really I doubt it makes that much difference, in my case 260Kw from a 6.0 litre isn't exactly a high output figure from 6.0 litres. Personally I would run your SS predominantly on at least 95, but then if you run 95, then 98 isn't too much more expensive. I also have a Subaru Forester 2.5 NA, I think with that car when running on highway speeds it is beneficial in fuel consumption to run 95, 98 may be just slightly better. For your own satisfaction with your VFII try a few tanks of different grades, it's not going to hurt the car and you can come to your own conclusions about dollar value of using 95 over 91 etc. Hopefully spending the extra dollars on higher grade fuel you'll get some pay back in terms of litres per 100Km. With running in, I think general consensus would be to try and vary the driving conditions and not to totally baby it, but don't flog it to death either.

did a few runs with our VE afm with 98 95 and 91 and really no difference on the stock tune.

Interesting if anyone has done the VF2 on the dyno with 91 fuel Vs 98 etc.

As others said treat nice warm up etc then drive with a bit of vigour to bed rings in and drop oil.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Our VS Ecomoo cost about the same to run on 95 or 91, 'cos it'd use enough extra 91 to compensate for the extra cost of the 95. But I ran it on 95 or 98, because once you were used to 95, it felt like something was wrong with it on 91 - you had to accelerate harder to achieve the same thing, which didn't feel quite right.

We always run the VF on 98, because it's new (ish) and it just seems the right thing to do. Given that the EMS is like a billionty times more modern than the Ecomoo, I'd be surprised if the VF didn't feel 'lacking' on 91 if you're used to 98.