Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New SSV REDLINE fuel consumption?

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Agree, take it for a good fang down the freeway...

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute
Around town very thirsty mine I have had down to 9.6 litres freeway and mine is manual if I drive around town looking at 20 litres try BP 98 fuel that's all I can put in mine anyway as mine has the walkinshaw pack and was tuned to BP 98 fuel

Senator01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6.2
Only ever, ever use 98. Ultimate or Vortex. Best fuels give best performance.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
Best for me so far on the Redline is 7.4L on a freeway-heavy trip. I actually think she's very lean on the fuel all things considered - very pleased.

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline
Has anyone used the Costco 98 fuel in cars yet? If so any good?
My family's got a membership and the diesel and petrol there is pretty cheap...

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I hardly do any highway driving.. Maybe 10% if that. Since I bought the car I have only ever driven it around the suburb (inner west Sydney). Got the car with a full tank and just filled another tank today with Caltex Vortex 98.. Did 16kms before the dial dropped slightly. Hope this improves! 

My average speed is only at 12kms.. Still haven't done any trips over 15min..

Obviously an 8 will drink more however I really thought consumption would be much much less.. Even around town. It's not really an issue however, is this normal? if so, will it drop and when?

Average speed 12 km/h - there's your fuel consumption problem right there. Short trips low average speed, does your fuel consumption no good at all.

Bradvfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Here are some things that might help.

I suggest it is too young to know how economical it will be. Manual calculations over a longer period will give the best indication.
For greater accuracy stick to one type (Ron) of fuel.
Other things you can do is reset all the fuel economy indicators back to zero. Then set the average economy for 500km.
If you run it in according to the car manual you will have done more freeway mileage.
After 2 or 3000 km give your engine a Nulon engine oil treatment, then continue to monitor your economy.
Put at least 40 psi in your tyres and keep the weight down. The boot empty and if you only do city driving chuck the spare and use puncture can.

I did all of the above and the best I can do in my 2013 ssv is 12.5l/100 city and 9.6l/100 freeway and country. Now after 20 000km on the dial I don't think about economy I just enjoy the drive.

I hope this helps you out. Cheers

We44pn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I hardly do any highway driving.. Maybe 10% if that. Since I bought the car I have only ever driven it around the suburb (inner west Sydney). Got the car with a full tank and just filled another tank today with Caltex Vortex 98.. Did 16kms before the dial dropped slightly. Hope this improves!

My average speed is only at 12kms.. Still haven't done any trips over 15min..

Obviously an 8 will drink more however I really thought consumption would be much much less.. Even around town. It's not really an issue however, is this normal? if so, will it drop and when?
ela bro mine sits at 19L/100K

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
If I've said this once I've said it a hundred times, you can not go by the trip computer, the only way to work out what fuel economy you are ACTUALLY getting is to work it out by filling the car and makin note of the Kms on the ODO, driving it like you NORMALLY would, then refuel it and record the liters you put in and the ODO again to see how many kms you have driven, then divide the liters you put in by kms you drove andultiy by 100.

The 6L VE2 when I bought mine was reported to use 12.5L / 100km, my trip computer says 13.4 but it actually runs at 11.7 the VF2 could only be better than that, but if in doubt, RTFM, because surprise surprise, that's where you will find the answer.

I find it hard o believe that someone would spend $50k on a new car and not have researched what its fuel economy would be as a daily, and then ask a public forum when it turned out to be not what he expected????

But FWIW, 30L per 100km is definitely not right, it should be more like the 12 mark, and run in or no of a daily (read non race car) won't make any noticeable difference. Do yourself a favor and work it out properly using the fuel you intend to run daily (91 is fine as the engine is designed and tested for / on it) and then if more than say 15, take it back to the dealer as something obviously isn't right.