Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New to holdens....Seeking advice..

R

Rags

Well I hit my mid 30's an thought it was time to buy an Aussie car (I have owned euro cars my whole life), So off to the local Holden dealer and whammo I now own a 2003 VY II S (supercharged), with a lil over 30k on the clock, I said to my self during the test drive "Jesus why didn’t I get one o these 15 years ago:b: . I am totally blown away with my new girl.
And now it is time too learn more.
The main question is what are the best tyres for the Vy?

What are the first mod's I need to make to improve performance?

and what are the main known issues if any with the car?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, If I don’t respond immediately its because im probably out driving my new car...:bow:

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Welcome to the site, and congrats on becoming a Holden owner.

Hopefully you can get plenty of advice and tips from the site. Have a good hunt through this and the other sections for possible mods and ideas.

giannetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black vy 'S'
how much are you planning to spend?

J

JA SV8

Welcome to the world of Aussie cars.
Personally i run Firestone Wide Oval tires one my VY SV8. so far they are great, and not to bad a price either (just under $200 from memory).
These are on 17s and 235s though, if your car has smaller wheels they should be cheaper too :)

Good luck.

R

Rags

giannetto said:
how much are you planning to spend?

Initially not tons, still tyring to figure out exactly what can be done to these donks! without creating a mushroom cloud.

Tyres are my first concern, then some basic customisation, too make it mine.
soon I guess I’ll start really working the engine to peak its performance.

Knowing what others have done and what degree of success would be a good start.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Read the known issues/faults sticky up the top, that will tell you what things to look for.

SC engines dont get much mention in VY circles around here, not sure why. I guess seeing a performance tuner and getting the boost upped slightly would provide some results? A tune is normally the 1st step i think

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
HSV chip, pretty easy to get, and cheap. XU6 one would go nice. :) And visit Raptor or FIT, get one of their first level packs, with smaller pully and sensors etc, will get you a nice increase pretty easily for small outlay...

Tyres, don't ask me, I'm driving on friggin Nexens!!! :p