Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New to this and would love help or advice

Uniquename

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz executive v6 alloytec
Hey mate, do yourself a favour. You've got a 19-year-old car, right? Just enjoy it as it is until you've finished your studies and can earn yourself some money. You may need what money you have for ongoing running costs, servicing and unforeseen repairs. Furthermore, you don't want your car to become a cop magnet.
We've all been where you are at, and I'm sure most of the guys on here will give you the same advice.
Thats pretty sound advice thank you very much, not looking to become a cop magnet i get enough attention from them as is, just want this car to last, learn what i can about cars without having to become a mechanic, its a first car it runs well and has been well taken care of thats why my focus isnt performance its maybe a new exhaust tip for better sound or an plug and play exhaust system that i can install myself, maybe cosmetics or some cheapish rims just having fun with it, i understand your points though but i want to use this as experience and learning.

Uniquename

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately $500 won't even give you a suspension upgrade.
yeah i know, but it will get me a spoiler or exhaust tips and maybe some other small things. not about performance just learning. and if something costs 700-1500 and i really want it then ill save up.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hey mate, do yourself a favour. You've got a 19-year-old car, right? Just enjoy it as it is until you've finished your studies and can earn yourself some money. You may need what money you have for ongoing running costs, servicing and unforeseen repairs. Furthermore, you don't want your car to become a cop magnet.
We've all been where you are at, and I'm sure most of the guys on here will give you the same advice.

Plus when we were 19yo a 190kw engine was a V8 lol. I remember how fast my cousins stock RB30 VL was lol, those are so slow lol.

Edit I know the alloytec was out when I was 19 but it was still quite expensive.

Uniquename

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plus when we were 19yo a 190kw engine was a V8 lol. I remember how fast my cousins stock RB30 VL was lol, those are so slow lol.

Edit I know the alloytec was out when I was 19 but it was still quite expensive.
Yeah things have changed a ton unfortunately i have the 175kW alloytec

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
yeah i know, but it will get me a spoiler or exhaust tips and maybe some other small things. not about performance just learning. and if something costs 700-1500 and i really want it then ill save up.

Then probably best you start a wishlist and enter the black hole. Increase your budget to $5k and you might get a few upgrades, but even that will get swallowed up pretty quickly.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

back in the day VL Walkinshaw was the craziest machine out there and it only had 180kw

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try eBay, I've sold owners manuals on there before.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There isn’t anything performance wise you can do really. The engines are already at their maximum.

Leave the exhaust alone. V6’s sound like shite with an exhaust.

Focus on maintaining the car. You’ll learn more.

Do the PCV mod. Get the plenum off and give things a clean. Replace your PCV hoses. Change the plugs to decent ones from a shop (not on line). Clean the interior. Hire a carpet cleaner to do the seats and carpet.

Learn to polish and clean the paint up. A great car to begin with. Buy a DA polisher. Get some foam polish pads for it.

Start doing oil changes with diesel oil like Penrite 5W-40. The extra detergents in diesel oil will start to clean the inside of what will be a gunked up motor.

Get a torque wrench. Get tools.

Don’t put a spoiler on it. Most people take them off, not put them on.

Maybe a set of 18” VE wheels that have been machined to fit. They have a nice offset compared to VZ and previous.

You will gain more about learning cars doing those sorts of things than cringing up the car.